Neurology Community
45k Members

ms or stroke

in may of 2006, i awoke to have blurred vision, left eye was like looking at a tv with vertical hold broken...ws taken to hospital and told that i had vertigo............had an ashy taste in mouth, slurred speech, memory loss on simple words-i walked like an old person--they did a CT and nothing, i was given mezclazine(?) for vertigo-they did a EKG nothing,
my regular doctor told me that "he was 75% sure that i may have MS", after two MRI's confirmed a spot in the lower right side of brain.......a Neurologist did simple looking tests..........he said "that this is not MS it is a stroke"...........i have seen stroke victims..........i don't look like that,,,,,,,,,,should i count my lucky stars and move on or take another MRI (per my doc) after a year..........which is right about now.....thank you
This is like dajavoo (spelling probably wrong, but I had to use it). In 2002 I had just about the same symptoms. Woke up with blurred vision. I thought it was a migrane starting, so I took medicine and went to bed. But I soon became aware that it was not like my normal migrane. There was not really a headache-just a fulness in my head. My right side became numb, the right side of my face dropped, when I walked-it was a clumpsy walk and I kinda drug my foot. These symptoms lasted about a day. I was left with the walk, sloppy writing, slurred speach, hard to think of words-especially when I talked. Most of the latter went away, except the word thing (which gets worse all the time and memory). I didn't go to the a dotor at that time since it seemed to go away. A year later it happened again. I did see a doctor, I had a CT-showed nothing, Blood test-showed nothing, MRI-it showed 8-10 lesion in the white matter of my brain. The Neurologist said it could be MS, but the spots were in the wrong part of the brain, he said most likely it was mini strokes. He wanted me to have a spinal tap, but I refused. He said we could rerun the MRI in 6 months to a year, if it was MS the white spots would have changed. About a year later I had another episoode and went to the hospital, this time it was a little worse, all the other symptoms plus weakness and shaking. Another Neurologist ran another MRI-no change. He did all those push, pull, squease, toe heal, follow the pen tests. Then he tells me it isn't MS, isn't strokes, its coming from migrane. He put me on Topomax and the problems were worse. I went back to him and he said to stop taking the medication that he had given it to me because one of the side effects was weight loss. I'm not that overweight! Needless to say I have not been back to him.  But since then the episodes have gradually more frequent, now they are about every couple months and each time more symptoms. Including eye twitch, sore joints, shaking, tremors etc. In between times I always have a joint aching, it goes from joint to joint, memory problems, confusion, word memory. This last episode was two weeks ago, the actual episode lasted 3 days and I still am numb on the right side with some numbness on my left side now, neck and shoulder pain, the eye twitch just stopped. I have been doing some research trying to find an answer myself since the doctors don't seem to know or because they can't find a positive test they make me feel like its in my head. I have asked my family doctor to run a Lymes test, the normal tests for this don't always show anything the best test I've been told is the Western Blot. You should read up on this to see if any of these symptoms match yours, they did mine. Also I have asked him to run a thyroid test. Its so hard when symptoms come and go and if one Dr. doesn't  find anything he doesn't bother to suggest where to go from there. Hang it there, its been 5 years and I'm still looking. PS sorry this is so long.