Neurology Community
45k Members

nerve damage due to IV

I recently was in the hospital and had an IV and while they had to try a few times, one of these time it hit a nerve. The IV ended up in the other arm but a day or so after I got out of the hospital I started to have somwhat sharp pain in my wrist and down into the meaty part of my thumb.
I'm wondering if this will go away eventually or should I see someone about it?
The duration of recovery from your condition would ultimately depend on how severe the nerve damage is.  Ideally, it is always best to have it looked at by a competent neurologist as early as possible.  In the meantime, some OTC pain medication can be taken (assuming you don't have any ulcers/gastritis or pain medication allergies) to alleviate the pain. Just make sure you take them an hour after a meal.
Thanks for the reply. The reason I was in the hospital was for a bleeding ulcer, so  Advil is out of the question. But I will try some Tylenol after a meal and see if that works.
Do you know if not using the hand will help? Or some topical medications? Any ideas?
You can have Tablet.Ranitidine 150 mg 1/2 hr befor food and then after food you can have a OTC painkiller if pain persists.The gastrirtis will be less or completely avoided by taking T.Ranitidine .
Goodluck.
Thanks very much! The only other question I have is if this kind of nerve problem will normally go away in a few weeks?
You know I just looked up Ranitidine and see that this is for your stomach. I am currently taking Prolisec OCT for the after treatment of my ulcer.
What I was trying to find out was if the nerve damage in my hand due to an IV sticking in to a nerve while I was in the hospital was going to go away by itself or if I should see someone? Do you know that? :-)
As I have mentioned before, recovery from the nerve damage is dependent on how severe the injury is, which cannot be assessed from our standpoint.  You could opt to observe for the moment whether the pain would decrease or resolve within a few weeks with concomitant pain medications.

If the pain is bothering you, you should go to a neurologist as soon as possible to assess your injury.  He will be in the best position to answer your query on how long your pain will last and provide you with appropriate advise on treatment options.