Posted By Madeleine on August 29, 1998 at 19:08:32:
I went to the dentist for a routine filling in a lower left tooth. She began to numb the area and I felt what seemed like an electric shock to the tip of my tongue. She proceeded with the injection despite another "shock" and gave me a second injection as well. My whole left side of my face, including my ear, was numb for about 6 hours. My chin, lip and teeth on the left side are still numb 10 days later. An oral surgeon told me it was nerve damage that may or may not resolve itself and could take months to subside. I have been putting warm compresses on my chin and taking ibuprofen (Advil) 2 tabs, 3 times a day for the last 5 days. What can I do to hasten recovery, if anything, and what questions should I be asking my doctor? Thank you!