Neurology Community
45k Members

osteoarthritis and hemiplegic migraine

I recently was hospitalised with hemiplegic migraine and osteoarthritis in my spine. I had 4 lumbar punctures which made me almost paralysed but I had no headaches, only leg pains. Everything serious has been ruled out but no one at my local hospital would treat me and I was shunted around the hospital until I lost my temper and said I was leaving with force if need be !  My question is, can my arthritis cause my migraines to change and go on the opposite side of my body, from right to left, hence the paralysis or are the migraines changing - if so will my medication work the changing symtoms  can anyone help me

This discussion is related to hemiplagic migraines.
Thank you for your question. Although without being able to examine you I can not offer you the specific advice on diagnosis and treatment that you need, but I would try to provide you some relevant information about your health concern.

It is quite unlikely that your arthritis problem would have been caused your migraines. But your illness may have triggered the symptoms. Other factors that may induce your migraine attack may be contraceptive pills, stress or depression, bright lights, loud noise and traveling. Few women experience headache more commonly during the time of their menstrual periods, menopause & at the time of hormonal imbalance. The mainstay of the migraine treatment is always to identify the triggering factors and to avoid them. Triggering factors could be different foods such as cheese, chocolate, alcohol and even few fruits. I would suggest careful record of events that have proceeded with the attack and avoid those factors. In addition, try to rest in a dark & quiet room, meditate, have a balanced diet and avoid taking unnecessary drugs. ). Even then if you suffer continuous headache, please arrange an appointment with a neurologist right away who will evaluate the further underlying disorders by clinically examine you & ordering MRI or CT scan here that may be the main reasons of your headache attacks & other symptoms and can provide you an appropriate treatment. Hope this information proves helpful to you. Take Care & Regards!!!