Neurology Community
45k Members

osteophyte

i under went cervical disc replacement with g graft level c4,5,6.for root compression and severe cord compression 4 years back.now i am feeling numbness in my index finger,stiff muscles in the shoulder on the right side and right triceps and deltoid.i consulted a neorosurgeon who said osteophyte might be causing compression and advised exercises for which i am feeling better to worse.i am worried .kindly advise me.i am 38 years old ,diabetic well controlled which was detected at the time of  surgery.my nature of job is sedentary.i am a cosultant engineer,work on the computer.thank u.  
Osteophytes are protrusions of cartilage and bone that develop in areas of joint degeneration. They are most commonly associated with osteoarthritis, although it also might be a result of your body's natural reparative process by the remaining cartilage after the surgery.

Treatment can include nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) and other analgesics, as well as physical therapy.  Surgery is only indicated as a last resort. Consult your neurologist on other possible treatment options for your condition.