Neurology Forum

paresthesia all over

Hello. I'm wondering what disorders might cause paresthesias all over the body.

I am a 37-year-old white female in the U.S. I am obese but reasonably healthy -- normal cholesterol, low blood pressure, physically active.

I've been having mild paresthesias all  over -- varying from a sort of "buzzing" feeling in the skin, to mild pins and needles, to warmth or burning of the skin -- in various parts of my body for a little more than a month. It began in the hands and forearms, then spread to the face after a few days (especially the lips), then spread to the torso and legs all at once after about two weeks. It tends to be present, mildly, in the hands and lips all the time; it is frequently present in the feet, but not all the time; it tends to crop up in my back and shoulders when I lie down on my back in bed or sit down for a long time. Though it's not consistent, it seems to emerge or strengthen in response to pressure. It's often mildest and most localized when I wake up in the morning, and strongest and most widespread when I lay down to go to bed in the evening.

I haven't noticed any weakness or balance problems. B12 and thyroid levels have tested normal since these sensations started. I have had positive ANA tests for about three years, but no autoimmune disorder diagnosis (lots of autoimmune problems in my family, though). I don't think I've had any other symptoms associated with Lyme or lupus, though I've had occasional mild joint pain in the fingers (diagnosed as early osteoarthritis). No diabetes as far as I know -- blood sugar levels have been fine.

I have an upcoming neurology appointment, but I'm having to wait quite awhile for it. These sensations are really not that bad in and of themselves, but they're scary. I guess I'm wondering how scared to be.

Thanks for your help. I really appreciate it.
I too  have paresthesia all over my body for 6i yrs. now.  The Neurologist at Mayo Clinic did numerous test, spinal tap etc. and said that I have Immune mediated peripheral small fiber sensory neuropathy.  I was on numerous medications and nothing helps me. I get cold sensations mostly, not warmth.  Mostly in face 24/7 and legs. It drives me crazy. Mine started in my face first after a bout with the flu.  Hope things work out for you. Mention this to your doctor. At Mayo they have special sensory labs there. I live in Wisconsin and I don't think any facility does here, so you may want to ask your Neurologist , as I don't know where you live- if there is a place that has sensory testing. An EMG will NOT tell you if you have a  small fiber sensory neuropathy.   Take care   Laaz
Thanks for your input, Laaz. I live in PA and will have to see what testing facilities are available here. So, you have parethesias in your torso as well as your arms, legs, and face? I was thinking mine wasn't a peripheral nerve issue, since it's literally all over -- back, hips, chest, scalp, etc., as well as limbs and face. For instance, I just walked to work carrying a backpack, and now my back is all prickly.

I hope you find some treatment that helps. My sensations are mild enough that I think I could learn largely to ignore them. (If it's a progressive condition, that's something else). In contrast, your situation sounds really difficult.
Some additional info:

My magnesium levels have also tested normal since my symptoms began.

Over the last few days, I've begun to have some very mild dizziness.
I agree with the poster above. You describe small fiber neuropathy to a T. It is a tough diagnosis to get because many docs, including neurologists, have never heard of it. Do lots of research. Contrary to what many docs believe, small fiber neuropathy does not always start at the feet and may be patch or diffuse.
Also, small fiber neuropathy causes dizziness due to autonomic neuropathy. I have this problem and it is the WORST symptom I have ever experienced in my life. There are not many sympoms wost than not getting enough blood and oxygen to your brain, which is what is causing the dizziness in autonomic neuropathy. Please be very careful driving, as it is possible to pass out.
I have the same symptoms, and have found no relief, and no help from doctors. However, mine is seasonal. I'm fine all summer, but as soon as cold weather comes and I turn on the heat (heat pump), I start getting the symptoms. It seems to me that I'm allergic to something, but I don't know what! When the air conditioning is on (uses same vents, etc.), I'm fine. I've talked to heating/airconditioning people, but they don't have anything to offer. Sometimes the paresthesia is light enough that it's tolerable, but when it gets really cold and the heat stays on, it gets very uncomfortable.  So frustrating! Some research shows that paresthesia can be related to heavy metals.
Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
In this special Missouri Medicine report, doctors examine advances in diagnosis and treatment of this devastating and costly neurodegenerative disease.
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.
Discover some of the causes of dizziness and how to treat it.
Discover the common causes of headaches and how to treat headache pain.
Two of the largest studies on Alzheimer’s have yielded new clues about the disease