Neurology Forum

parietal lobe epilepsy

a psychopharm question: I'm a psychologist in a hospital practice. pt. dx with parietal l. epilepsy. depression and amotivational behaviors. recommendations as to polypharmacy of seizure meds combined with antidepressant? meds of choice?
thanks,
JBS
As I'm sure you know, it's always advisable to refrain from polypharmacy due to the adverse effect of drug interactions.  However, if a patient requires treatment for different conditions in addition to antiepileptic drugs, relatively safe medications to consider for partial/focal (non-generalized) epilepsy include Keppra, Topamax, Neurontin (not as effective as an antiepileptic) and Zarontin.  Topamax may have dual properties as it has been used for a number of psyche disorders (although many are off label) and is an effective seizure med. Unfortunately, many of these meds cause sedation and some like Keppra can cause behavioral changes.  THe main point here though is that they don't interact with many other psyche drugs.  Hope that helps, please contact your hospital's pharmacist and consider a formal n eurological consult for specific cases.
Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
In this special Missouri Medicine report, doctors examine advances in diagnosis and treatment of this devastating and costly neurodegenerative disease.
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.
Discover some of the causes of dizziness and how to treat it.
Discover the common causes of headaches and how to treat headache pain.
Two of the largest studies on Alzheimer’s have yielded new clues about the disease