Aa
A
A
A
Close
Neurology Community
45.1k Members

peripherial neurapathy

I've been told by my GI doctor that my peripherial neurapathy is partially caused by the over-use of the metronidazole a antibiotic. I also have low levels of vitamin b1. my question is on the antibiotic metronidazole, Can this cause to my peripherial neurapathy be "corrected" after the toxin has finally left my body? or will this be permantent and get "worse" with time? what can I do to stave off the progression if so?
4 Responses
the above comment please help.
1093617 tn?1279305602
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
Most likely possibility here could be metronidazole or due to low level of vitamin B related to neuropathy (nerve pain like numbness and tingling at affected areas).  Vitamin B-complex rich diet may help in reducing neuropathy symptoms. This may lead to muscle weakness and coordination also. If you suffer continuous weakness and notice reduced strength of muscle bulk in your limbs, please arrange an appointment with a neurologist right away who may evaluate the possibilities first. These “red flags” could be indicative of progression of neuropathy and early treatment (like B-Complex) is essential if permanent damage needs to be avoided. Hope this helps. Take Care & Stay Healthy!!!

metronidazole caused my problems too.  i'm wondering the same as you.  
will it get worse or better?
what can we do to STOP this from progressing?  

i'll keep you posted if i get a response from someone.  please let me know too.  thanks a lot.  
I have idiopathic peripherial neuropathy, and B vitamins have been a life saver -- especially fat soluble B1 (Benofotamine) -- quick results from my experience.
Have an Answer?
Top Neurology Answerers
620923 tn?1452919248
Allentown, PA
5265383 tn?1483811956
ON
1756321 tn?1547098925
Queensland, Australia
1780921 tn?1499305393
Queen Creek, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
In this special Missouri Medicine report, doctors examine advances in diagnosis and treatment of this devastating and costly neurodegenerative disease.
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.
Discover some of the causes of dizziness and how to treat it.
Discover the common causes of headaches and how to treat headache pain.
Two of the largest studies on Alzheimer’s have yielded new clues about the disease