Neurology Community

post appendectomy numbness in leg

I was diagnosed with appendicitis and peritonitis and had emergency surgery, where the surgeon opened me up from right below the belly button. After surgery a tube was inserted from the lower right abdomen all the way down to the pelvic floor to suck up excess fluid from inflammation etc.

I had post surgery ileus a week after surgery and I was hospitalized for about a month and a half.

After I got out, I felt numbness, tingling in my right buttock and leg all the way down to the little toe.

Does anyone know of a similar case? Has anyone had a similar experience? What are the plausable causes and treatment?? The surgeons deny the surgery had anything to do with it.

Thanks your for help.
Hi, it is unlikely for the numbness to be related with surgery. This could be due to prolonged bed rest. Causes like sciatica, disc herniation, vascular insufficiency etc should be ruled out. How old are you?
I had appendectomy in Mar 2014  They went thru my navel and also area below my navel.  I also have numbness in my right leg and at times a burning pain accompanies the numbness.  These symptoms began 2 wks after the surgery.  Prior to the surgery I never had this problem. It still persists as of Aug 2014.  You can not convince  me it is not related.  MeiXue
Hello, I am feeling the same thing you are. I went through a laparoscopic surgery to remove my appendix and feel that same numbness. We may have Sciatica because the nerve was irritated during our surgery. We may have a legal case of malpractice if so.