Neurology Community
45k Members

post gestational stroke

I am 5 weeks post gestational. One week after birth I was diagnosed with Cardiomyopathy. One week after that I suffered a medium sized stroke (about the size of a walnut) and it affected my speech and concentration.  What is the likelyhood that I will suffer another stroke and are there any symptoms I should look for?   Previously I don't believe I had any physical symptoms right before the stroke.

There are various reasons for a stroke after the birth of your baby. The cardiomyopathy or increased clotting of blood during and immediately following pregnancy could have led to stroke, or it could be due to any other preexisting condition like hypertension. The possibility of another stroke depends on the actual reason behind it.

Some time before a stroke, some people experience a few minutes of weakness on one side or part of the body, which is due to temporary lack of oxygen to the brain- called a transient ischemic attack. Otherwise, there are no definite premonitory signs for stroke

Regards