Aa
A
A
A
Close
Neurology Community
45.3k Members

progressive tingling numbness in left hand fingers thumb

four weeks ago I was cutting the lower small branches off my oak tree.  I felt a slight sting on the very tip of my index finger.  Then I noticed many wasp galls on many leaves, but I do not know if that is what stung me. supposedly, gall wasps dont sting so I dont know what it was.
About the same time frame I swung the water hose towards me and the nozzle hit me really hard on the wrist area about 2 inches from the wrist towards the elbow on the same edge as the thumb. The next few days I was very aware of numbness on my index finger tip and a flat dry spot appeared.  I never got a blister.  The spot was 1/4 inch in diameter.  Since both of these events, the numbness has moved down my finger and now includes my thumb and  to a lesser degree of numbness my middle finger. I am starting to feel it progress to my ring finger (next to the pinkie) and also past my wrist at the point where the nozzle hit my forearm.  
Very rarely, that hand has "locked up" at the knuckles but this has happened before either event.  
.  My question is do you have any ideas what could be causing the numbness.? it is really irritating but I dont want to go to the doc if I dont really need to.
1 Responses
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL

Hi there. This appears to be sensation loss in the median nerve distribution in the hand due to the injury from nozzle of water hose. Consult a neurologist who will assess the nerve function and conduct a nerve conduction velocity test NCV and electromyogram EMG. Depending on the severity and degree on nerve damage, the nerve regeneration would occur. You need to be monitored for function periodically. Consult a physiotherapist to help you with function of the hand. Hope this helps. Take care.
Top Neurology Answerers
620923 tn?1452915648
Allentown, PA
5265383 tn?1483808356
ON
1756321 tn?1547095325
Queensland, Australia
1780921 tn?1499301793
Queen Creek, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
In this special Missouri Medicine report, doctors examine advances in diagnosis and treatment of this devastating and costly neurodegenerative disease.
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.
Discover some of the causes of dizziness and how to treat it.
Discover the common causes of headaches and how to treat headache pain.
Two of the largest studies on Alzheimer’s have yielded new clues about the disease