Neurology Forum

recent memory loss

Hello I'm a 24 year old women..I recently been having issues with memory.. my husband claims that I stop responding to him and I'm just staring off into space..and he has even tried shining lights into my eyes to get me to come back to him...when I come to I don't remember a thing..like I'm thinkin he is crazy..but he swears its happining..also he said one time when I came back I thought I was 20 and we were going to see the movie iron man in theaters...is this possible...he said I didn't know we had a 2 year old...what could cause this??
Thanks for using the forum. I am happy to address your questions, and my answer will be based on the information you provided here. Please make sure you recognize that this forum is for educational purposes only, and it does not substitute for a formal office visit with a doctor.

Without the ability to examine and obtain a history, I can not tell you what the exact cause of the symptoms is. However I will try to provide you with some useful information.

Trouble with memory in younger people such as yourself is uncommon, but there are causes. One that comes to mind is low thyroid function, what is called hypothyroidism. Low thyroid function causes fatigue, weight gain, cold intolerance, constipation, and memory/concentration problems in addition to several other symptoms. Another possibility is anemia, which can cause severe fatigue and thinking trouble. In addition, other causes include certain vitamin deficiencies. These can all be diagnosed with simple blood tests.

Another group of problems that can cause thinking problems and fatigue are psychiatric. This is not at all to say you are crazy or making anything up. Clinical (medical) depression and anxiety can sometimes be expressed not in sad or depressed feelings but rather in thinking troubles and fatigue. Treatment improves this.

Also, with the recurrent staring off episodes, epilepsy (perhaps absence seizures) should be evaluated with EEG and neurological examination and history.

Finally, certain people live into adulthood with thinking troubles that are later diagnosed as learning disabilities or attention deficit disorder (ADD). Many people think of this as a childhood disorder but it can start in childhood and not be diagnosed into adulthood.

There are several potentially treatable causes to your symptoms. I strongly suggest you share your concerns with your physician. She/he after examining you and obtaining a history may choose to recommend referral to a specialist as necessary.

Thank you for this opportunity to answer your questions, I hope you find the information I have provided useful, good luck.

Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
In this special Missouri Medicine report, doctors examine advances in diagnosis and treatment of this devastating and costly neurodegenerative disease.
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.
Discover some of the causes of dizziness and how to treat it.
Discover the common causes of headaches and how to treat headache pain.
Two of the largest studies on Alzheimer’s have yielded new clues about the disease