Neurology Community

rehabilitation

my son had a fairly severe anoxic brain injury due toa drug overdose -- he has progressed to a state where he can attend class but is hving continued problems with speech and fine motor skills - he is not driving but has shown he is close -- he still has problems with school -- the question is "where do we go with him to give him the best chance of continuing his recovery? -- is there s place wherre he can get therapy and school at the same time? i am looking for a special place where he can have some hand's on guidance"
Have you explored the possibility of physio therapy? Occupational therapy is for fine motor skills. Speech therapy would probably help him tremendously. Look into see if his school board offers these therapies. I know here in Canada, they do. My son is currently receiving occupational and speech therapy. They assess your child to see if he meets their criteria. Have you ever tried home schooling or after school sessions with a place like sylvans or kumon. It'd be a place for extra tutoring. It can be quite expensive or see if any of the teachers from his school would be willing to work with him after school maybe a few times per week. I hope that this helps you in getting your son some help. Maybe one of his friends could help him keep up with his homework or something. Kids always tend to stick together. If they are true friends, they'd be willing to help anytime, anywhere. Good Luck.