Neurology Community
45k Members

sagging brain, csf leak

Is it possible that long term over draining or siphoning shunt valve can cause a CSF leak?  And if so, where is the most likely location of the leak?  Also, could the leak cause Spontaneous intracranial hypotension or sagging brain?  And my weirdest question is, can you hear or feel a leak?  I hear a hissing sound at the base of my neck.  Only when it is absolut quiet can I hear or feel.  Last only a few seconds when it does occur.
I realize this is an old post. I am going to answer as it may help someone else.
If you have a shunt it may be overdraining. It is possible for anyone to get a Spontaneous CSF leak. Leaks do cause a sagging brain. I have a leak and sagging brain, I hear popping, squishing fluid noises at times. I have had it for 6 years.
Don't know if you will get this but wondering if they ever found & fixed your leak?  I'm on going on a year of orthostatic head pressure/pain & cannot find leak yet.  Had all test up through & including myelogram & cisternogram & cannot find it yet.  
Do you feel like you are on airplane with clogged ears most of the time & severe head pressure?  I can't stand it - it gets worse driving & riding in the car too.  
Thanks!
Hope you are better!!
Brandy