Neurology Community
45k Members

seisure / stroke

I have a history of seisures due to a head injury that happened back in 1989.  My neurologist has me on Carbatrol (tegritol) to keep the seusures under control.  My tegritol levels have been very constant  for many years.  I think my latest level was good and around a few months ago.
My left arm has had an internal tingling (like from the nerves), and/or very minor ache lately (maybe a month).  I'm in great shape, I run a lot, and not overweight.
On 7/13/08 sunday morning I became very dizzy and I felt the same sensations that I have when I'm going into an seisure.  I fell to the floor, but eventually the spinning sensation stopped.  I fealt dissoriented and not the same.  
The hospital said it was probably lightheadedness.  They hooked me up to a haltermonitor to check for heart rythms, but I didn't experience any abnormal heart beating.  They didn't think it was necessary to check my tegritol level, and sent me on my way, unless things change.  I eventually went to my regular doctor, and after checking me out, set up an appointment to see my neuroligist.
I've fealt dissorented, confused, and paranoia since then, even now.  Some times the feeling are strong, and sometimes not so bad -- it fluctuates.
Question:  Could I have had a stroke, or is there something else going on invloving seisures or my brain.  My neurologist has an appointment to see me, but it isn't for 2 months -- I can't wait, I need help now, I can't work this way.  

How are you?
It is quite possible that you are experiencing side effects of tegretol. Tegretol can cause drowsiness, dizziness, vertigo, confusion, headache, and blurred vision.
I would suggest you to discuss this with your treating doctor and get your blood levels checked one more time.
http://www.drugs.com/tegretol.html
Do let me know if you need more information. Take care!