Neurology Community
45k Members

seizure disorder

I was prescribed 4 psychiatric medications at one time at quite high doses of each.  The medications were Abilify 30 mg., Zoloft 300 mg., Cymbalta 90 mg. and Xanax 2 mg.  I was taking that regimen for about a year and a half.  I suffered a grand mal seizure in October 2007 and another one shortly thereafter. I had a MRI and EEG which were conclusive for temporal lobe epilepsy.  I have no family history of this.  My question is could the drugs I was taking possible caused the seizures?  I would appreciate any help.  Thank you for your time.
Hi, it is unlikely to be because of medication but due to inadequate control. May be change of combination of medications may help. In cases of hippocampal sclerosis, 3 or more medicines are needed to control the seizure, even at times surgery is needed to control seizures. Visit website for more information http://www.emedicine.com/neuro/topic365.htm