Neurology Forum

sensation changes

On July 4th i had a grand mal tonic clonic seizure that lasted approx 10-12 min I was unaware of surroundings for approx 1 1/2 hours. two days later i had left sided weakness, facial drooping(eye and mouth), the drooping and weakness subsided within 12 hours, however the sensation  to my left outer calf, and calf area and facial area from forehead to chin remained for 4 days.  since I have had I believe one absent seizure and 4 episodes of facial sensation changes (feels like when the dentist numbs your face).  I have had a ct/mri/mra done with no findings i am scheduled to see a neurologist soon but they cannot get me in any sooner.  i am 31 with no hx of trauma or other medical problems aside from i have had insomnia since i was 16. i have checked on several online ideas such as ms, lupus, sleep disorders.  they recently checked a carotid and echo just to make sure i was not throwing clots and having tia all were neg and all lab values at time of initial symptoms have been neg glucose, NA, Pt# all within limits.  Any suggestions?
Thanks for using the forum. I am happy to address your questions, and my answer will be based on the information you provided here. Please make sure you recognize that this forum is for educational purposes only, and it does not substitute for a formal office visit with your doctor.

Without the ability to obtain a history from you and examine you, I can not comment on a formal diagnosis or treatment plan for your symptom. However, I will try to provide you with some information regarding this matter.

New onset seizures should always have a thorough evaluation if it is not obviously provoked. Some risk factors for people to have seizures include family history of seizures, head trauma, CNS infection, CNS tumor, development delay, lack of sleep, history of febrile seizure as a child, alcholol/drugs/medications, etc. Seizures are common with strokes and other brain injuries. It is good that you are having a workup. Given your age, I would look at genetic possibilities as well including hypercoagulable studies.

Have you had an EEG? Was the MRI examined with your physician? Areas of cortical dysplasia can be quite subtle and missed on MRI if not “on the radar”.

You should follow up with a neurologist. If you are having ongoing seizure activity, you should be on an antiepileptic.

Thank you for using the forum, I hope you find this information useful, good luck.
Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
In this special Missouri Medicine report, doctors examine advances in diagnosis and treatment of this devastating and costly neurodegenerative disease.
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.
Discover some of the causes of dizziness and how to treat it.
Discover the common causes of headaches and how to treat headache pain.
Two of the largest studies on Alzheimer’s have yielded new clues about the disease