Aa
A
A
A
Close
Neurology Community
45.2k Members

severe headaches and diarreha

I'm 54 and a woman I've had for the past week such severe instant headaches where it feels like literally my heads going to explode and it comes on instantly right after the moment i start to feel sick to my stomach with diarehha.  I've went to the hospital four times. mri, spinal tap blood test optamalgist test every thing normal.  Have an attack everyday or more .  help what could it be.
1 Responses
147426 tn?1317265632
I am not a neurologist and this is not my speicalty.  

It sounds like you are describing a "thunderclap headache" which  people often say is the worst pain they have ever felt.  I'm glad your MRI and spinal tap were negative.  They were looking for the most severe things, too.  Most of these headaches turn out to be "nothing serious" and are treated much like migraine.  

You need to see a neurologist that specializes in headaches.  A slim concern is a small tear in the dura surounding the brain/spinal cord and something that may be called an "aseptic arachnoiditis".  This is an inflammation (not infection) of the space around the brain which can be associated with a tear.  This type of headache may be associated with bowel dysfunction like explosive diarrhea.

I am assuming here that the diarrhea is unusual for you, too, is this correct?  Have you been having the abdominal pain and diarrhea only in connection to these headaches?

Here is a link:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/thunderclap-headaches/DS00644/DSECTION=1

Does the description on this site sound like what your are experiencing?

Did anything unusual happen to you just before the headaches began?

Quix
Have an Answer?
Top Neurology Answerers
620923 tn?1452915648
Allentown, PA
5265383 tn?1483808356
ON
1756321 tn?1547095325
Queensland, Australia
1780921 tn?1499301793
Queen Creek, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
In this special Missouri Medicine report, doctors examine advances in diagnosis and treatment of this devastating and costly neurodegenerative disease.
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.
Discover some of the causes of dizziness and how to treat it.
Discover the common causes of headaches and how to treat headache pain.
Two of the largest studies on Alzheimer’s have yielded new clues about the disease