Neurology Community
45k Members

short term memorty loss following heart surgery

Anyone ever heard of having short term memory loss and sometimes confusion after open heart surgery?  It's been 16 months since my surgery for aortic aneurysm and mechanical valve replacement.  Not getting better.  I'm only 45 years old and this worries me greatly.  Hoping someone can link me to some good information.  Thanks
One of the major complications of a heart surgery is stroke. You might have suffered a mild stroke while undergoing surgery or soon after and hence the symptoms of  memory loss and confusion. The symptoms will get better with a proper management plan that involves medication, exercises, good nutrition and psychotherapy. Please consult a neurologist for the complete neurological examination and management. Hope this helps you. Take care and regards!