Neurology Forum

siezures cause of delays

we have a 2yr old baby girl that has a generalized siezure disorder.  she had tehfirst one when she was 16mo lasting 6-8min. since she started to have them she has almost stoped learning new wowrds and still uses the same sentences(her you go, i know, thank you, whats that,sparky,momy,go,no,and why) all of which have been used the last 6-7mo but bot gained.  she has had2 normal eegs, 1ct,1 mri both normal. is it common for kids with siezures to have delays in language and speach that are sever. also is it common for a child to gesture like throwing a bottle or hitting on the fridge to indicate thirst or hunger sice she can not tell us if she wants a bottle, juice,milk,food, or hungry because she doent know the words as well as not being able to identify her body parts.

I also have one last question when i had her she weighed 4.78 at 36 1\2 wk. the nurses physically held her in by placing a hand on her head could this in some way have caused her some damage that is just know beginning to become aparent i am not looking for revenge just try to figure out what happned with my little girl so she can get the appropriate care thanks
Dear Joanna:

I am very sorry to hear about your daughter.  First, the holding down of her head is most probably not related in any way to the epilepsy.  The good news is that the eeg has been normal and the MRI was normal.  Did the seizures occur with fever?  Is there a family history of seizures?  Were the seizures generalized tonic clonic (grand mal) or were they focal?  Is she on medications?  Who read the EEGs and MRI?  The use of sentences that your daughter uses that seem to be at a standstill might be due to the seizures, but might not be related.  Depending on the medication, it might be medication related or not related.  Alot depends on the child, the neurological exam, etc.  I am assuming that your daughter was perfectly normal prior to the seizure events.  Let me know some answers to my questions.

A two year old may not know body parts and that would be normal at that age.  Throwing things may be due to frustration, but I can not tell you for sure without knowing your daughter, but we do see this in frustrated children.

Let me know some answers to my questions and I will get back to you.

Sincerely,

CCF Neuro MD
katelynns seizures wher not associated with fever and they have all been generalized tonic clonic siezures with cyanosis. at first they thought they where breath holding episodes but the day of entire weak of the first siezure she had been woken up at 0530 as aposed to 0800 due to to my nursing clinical  and the 3 one she had just been woke up so in 2 of the siezures ther was a disturbance of her sleep patterns. there is no family history of sizures on either side of our family.  she had been on dilanten since the end of sept 99, and her new neurologist this time a pediatric  neurologist is taking her off she is only getting 1\2 cc and will be completely off on the 19.since it did not seem to be stopping the siezures the 3rd accured while on it in dec. the doctor who read the eeg was a adult nuerologist and he was hesitant with her when he did the evaluation it was like he had to think before he did anythink and i diont know what the new dr is thinking. katelynn was developing at a normal rate after she had her pda ligateds at 6 1\2 mo until then she was behind she did not start rolling from her back to tummy until 6 1\2 mo and she could not hold her self upright to sit until she was almost 8 mo, but she was walking at 12 1\2 mo.  her speach was on target until she did start having the siezures the first one really affected her even the daty following she had troble walking and would not eat or drink which is bad because she dont eat much anyway she is onl;y 21.9 pounds at 2.
just one more4 note she also has a prescription  for diastat for active seizures. also she does not understand simple directions either such as stay, come here, give mommy or dady, get down or,stop, she also has lumbar scoliosis
Dear Joanna:

An infant should not have seizures just because their sleep pattern is disturbed.  Three seizures without fever is worrisome. Young infants can have seizures as a result of breath holding spells, we see this often.  If the seizure events occured after a aggitated state that is characterized by a breath holding spell, then this is a possibility.  If this were the case, then we would treat with rectal diastat for seizure events and not put a child on daily seizure medications.  However, if the seizures were not related to a breath holding spell, then it would be a difficult decision to with-hold medications after 3 seizures.  I would sit down and see why your pediatric neurologist is not continuing the medication.  There is likely a good explanation that is just not being communicated.  

Sincerely,

CCF Neuro MD
could the dialantin have anything to do with her not gaining any new speach and not being able to follow directions or is this more of a wait and see situation.
Dear Joanna:

I would pose that question to your neurologist as he/she is taking your daughter off the medication.  Yes, medication can have cognitive effects, especially if the levels are too high or too low (and there is seizure activity).  

Sincerely,

CCF Neuro MD
Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
In this special Missouri Medicine report, doctors examine advances in diagnosis and treatment of this devastating and costly neurodegenerative disease.
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.
Discover some of the causes of dizziness and how to treat it.
Discover the common causes of headaches and how to treat headache pain.
Two of the largest studies on Alzheimer’s have yielded new clues about the disease