Neurology Forum

stroke

is there medications to help prevent stokes in men?
Thanks for using the forum. I am happy to address your questions, and my answer will be based on the information you provided here. Please make sure you recognize that this forum is for educational purposes only, and it does not substitute for a formal office visit with your doctor.

Without the ability to obtain a history from you and examine you, I can not comment on a formal diagnosis or treatment plan for your symptoms. However, I will try to provide you with some information regarding this matter.

There are many stroke preventative therapies, but it really depends on risk factors.  

Controlling High blood pressure, keeping your cholesterol controlled, and also managing your blood sugars to prevent Diabetes—will all help you prevent a stroke caused by blocked arteries by atherosclerosis (fat accumulation) and lacunar strokes (which all these things harden your blood vessels causing them to close up).  

There are other causes also that cause stroke, one being something called Atrial Fibrillation, which is an irregular heart beat, and this usually caused by high blood pressure, but not always.

Other causes of stroke include any conditions that make the blood thick, such as cancers or autoimmune conditions, or inherited disorders.  

Medications that help prevent strokes can be blood thinners such aspirin, plavix, coumadin, aggrenox, but these medications should only be started with the advice of your primary care physician!!  He/She will know if these medications will help.  

As always, diet and exercise are crucial in maintaining health and also help prevent strokes.  
Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
In this special Missouri Medicine report, doctors examine advances in diagnosis and treatment of this devastating and costly neurodegenerative disease.
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.
Discover some of the causes of dizziness and how to treat it.
Discover the common causes of headaches and how to treat headache pain.
Two of the largest studies on Alzheimer’s have yielded new clues about the disease