Neurology Forum

tingling in scalp/visual disorders

This is a follow-up question to my previous question on 5/20 regarding an episode of tingling in scalp and various visual disturbances such as colored lights, distortions of certain objects and photophobia.  I also had an episode while driving my car where I had absolutely no idea where I was and it took several seconds to re-orient myself at which time I had the distinct impression that my eyes had been deviated to the right.  I am now in the process of having neuro work- up and it seems that I have an abnormal EEG and must follow-up with sleep deprived EEG.  By sheer accident, a large mass has been found on the left lobe of my thyroid.  My neurologist is not offering any info as yet, but I am assuming that the EEG is showing some type of seizure activity.  Can you give me some insight?  I appreciate any light you can shed on the subject.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hello Flo!

An abnormal EEG can mean alot of things, but not all abnormalities indicate seizure activity. Usually we are looking for things called epileptiform discharges, which indicate that a person has a tendency towards having seizures, although there are many people who have such abnormal discharges and never have a seizure their entire lives. Sleep deprivation is a tactic used to increase the odds of detecting abnormal brain discharges, because often such discharges increase during sleep or when someone is tired or exhausted. Persons with epilepsy are more likely to have seizures when they are very tired, and many types of seizures occur more often during the night. I would suggest that you ask your neurologist exactly what kind of abnormality there was, and whether or not it indicated a tendency toward seizures. Please remember that information provided on the forum is intended for general medical inormational purposes only, and that the actual diagnosis and treatment of your specific medical illness should be strictly in conjunction with your treating physician(s). If you would be interested in an evaluation at the Cleveland Clinic for a second opinion, our number is 1-800-223-2273. We hope you find the information provided helpful.

Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
In this special Missouri Medicine report, doctors examine advances in diagnosis and treatment of this devastating and costly neurodegenerative disease.
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.
Discover some of the causes of dizziness and how to treat it.
Discover the common causes of headaches and how to treat headache pain.
Two of the largest studies on Alzheimer’s have yielded new clues about the disease