Neurology Forum

tremors

I am having tremors in both of my arms and legs. From time to time it is more severe in my right hand. But my tremors are intense in my left and right leg as well as my left arm. These tremors happen when I extend my arms or lift my foot from the floor. My doctor did an MRI and ruled out Parkins, Wilson disease.He also stated it that I did not have a brain tumor. He has me on Mysoline and I take 4 250 mlg a day. The medicine has not done anything as of yet I have been on this medicine for about 2 months. I was wondering if this could be Essential Tremors. The nurse at the Dr.'s office said no but I do not understand why I am having these tremors. Pleas pass along any info you can. This is a very embarassing problem.
Thanks Phil
P.S. I am 30 if that helps any.
Dear Philip:

Sorry to hear that you have tremors.  The type of tremor that you speak about, tremor with muscle movement or in action, is called a action tremor.  Essential tremor is tremor at rest or when your muscles are relaxed.  Parkinson's tremor is usually a resting tremor that goes away with movement.  The differential is wide including unknown (sorry), medication, stroke (unlikely in your case), dystonia (also unlikely), degenerative disease of the basal ganglia or cerebellum, anxiety, toxins, etc.  However, if a general practioner diagnosed your tremor, it might actually not be a tremor but faciculations.  Difficult to tell you without a visual exam.  Give the medication a few more days, if no effect let your neurologist know.

Sincerely,

CCF Neuro MD
What is Lhermitte's sign? Is it present all the time or does it come and go? How do you check for it (standing? sitting?). When I bend my neck forward-sometimes I feel a twinge in my arch-not both only one and never standing. Only occassionally not all the time. Could this be it?
Dear Paul:

Lhermitt's sign is when you flex your neck and feel twinges or radiation of pain down your back and maybe into your thighs.  It is not radiated to your arches.

CCF Neuro MD
My name is Mark and I'd like to ask a doctor about tremor.  I've been having these slight shakes mainly in my fingers which I notice mainly when I'm eating (using a fork and knife) or when I'm drinking when the glass approaches my mouth.  What bothers me most is that I feel so embarrased that my heart beat increases and the tremor increases.  I can't say that the shakes are large but at times there worse than usual.  I'm so embarrased about the situation that I hardly go out to eat with my girlfriend anymore and lately started to drink some alcohol to relieve the shakes. When i do go out to eat i'm constantly looking at other people to see if there looking at me. I'm not a drinker or smoker but I've been taking antihistamines for about 5 years (Claritine- Loratidine).  I've tried to quit them but its no use because a rash develops within a day.  My doctor told me that I'm atopic.  The rash is like hives and I know there caused by certain foods but its too hard to tell so I gave up. A patch test is no use my doctor told me. I went to another doctor for the tremor and she took some blood tests and found that my thyroxine levels were just near the upper limit. she didn't give me any medication except for propranolol for the tremor.  The propranolol helps a little but i'm not happy with having to take it and i don't.

I definetely need some help.

Dear Mark:

Sounds like you have essential tremor.  Interestingly, up to 50% of essential tremor is inherited.  We do not understand it's etiology.  There are other medications besides the beta adrenergics.  You might want to try primidone (used at much lower doses than for seizure control), carbonic anhydrase inhibitors, and some recent studies suggest that dopamine agonists might work.  One thing that should be ruled out is Wilson's disease.  This might be the first manifestation of this disease.  A simple serum ceruloplasm and urine copper test will rule this out.  

Sincerely,

CCF Neuro MD
I have another question about tremors, when my hand is at rest or  hanging down it is ok.  When i hold up my hand while the arm is resting on an armrest, my hand and fingers shake.  It is mainly in my right hand, but has started recently in the left.  I first found it a couple of months ago, was just sitting there with a cigarette in my index and middle fingers.  My right hand has also gotten weaker.  I know I shouldn't smoke and am going to try to quit.  Do you know what could be causing this?

Thank you
Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
In this special Missouri Medicine report, doctors examine advances in diagnosis and treatment of this devastating and costly neurodegenerative disease.
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.
Discover some of the causes of dizziness and how to treat it.
Discover the common causes of headaches and how to treat headache pain.
Two of the largest studies on Alzheimer’s have yielded new clues about the disease