Neurology Community
45k Members

undiagnosed lightheadedness

My husband has been experiencing lightheadedness & head pain.  He does not like to use the term headache as it is more of a pain in his head, on a scale of 1 - 10, it is never worse than a 3 or 4.  The lightheadedness happens quite often and seems to be the most hindering for him.  He also describes having this feeling right after drinking or eating.  Even if it is only taking a drink of water.  He has been to Mayo clinic and checked by a neurologist, ENT, gastroenterologist, and had a stress test/echocardiogram.  He has been experiencing this for almost a year with symptoms getting worse.  He has been checked for lymes, thyroid issues, diabetes, & many more things.  He's had a brain and cervical MRI, CT scan of abdomen, tests for vertigo etc.  Everything has come back normal.  We are both very frustrated and not sure what to do next.  
Hi there!

Well, without a detailed clinical evaluation it would be difficult to determine the cause of his symptoms. Possibilities that may need to be considered include hypoglycemia, hyper/ hypotension, dehydration, micronutrient deficiencies, anxiety/ stress, hormonal/ endocrine/ metabolic issues, primary cranial headaches such as tension headaches, cranial neuralgias etc. I am not sure what all have you been evaluated for in the list, though I would suggest considering an initial evaluation by an internist and depending on the cause diagnosed/ suspected, ut can be managed accordingly or specialist care may be sought.
Hope this is helpful.

Take care!