Neurology Community
45k Members

unidentified seizure disorder

I am a forty-two year old caucasian male.  I have been diagnosed with a seizure disorder, for lack of a better term, because it has yet to be identified.  My grosser symptoms are difficult to describe.  I call them "nerve flashes."  They are like flashes or pulses of electricity in my hands, feet, limbs, head and chest--simultaneously--in conjunction with stuttering vision or vision disturbances (such as transient hallucinations, inability to judge distance, loss of stereoscopy).  These pulses are not painful, but I can feel them.  They usually last for a second or two, and generally as the episode lasts over a period of days they come more and more frequently, sometimes almost constantly.  Movement seems to further exacerbate the effect.  Today however, it came on very abruptly about five a.m., and remained constant until around seven p.m.  Driving was very difficult, was in fact probably very dangerous for myself as well as the other drivers, in retrospect.  By six p.m. I was home and lying down, as that is the only comfortable position during these episodes.  I had been prescribed Topomax 100 mg as a preventative for headaches in the past and since it is an anti seizure med, I took one on a whim.  This is the first time an anti-seizure med actually did anything for these.  I have been prescribed Depakoate, Propanolol, Atenolol, Neurontin in the past.  Have had CATscans and MRI's of my spine and skull.  Have seen three general practitioners and two neurologists regarding this.  To date, no one has been able to come up with anything other than "it's stress"--which is what they say is the cause of my recurrent daily headaches, since they can find no other physiological reason for them either.  If you have any suggestions, I am open to them.  My BP is 110/68, I weigh 215, my height is 6'3", i have high cholesterol but am taking Zocor to correct that (for the past six months), i take Cymbalta for depression (60mg qd), Zyprexa for psychosis and mood disorder (5mg q hs), testosterone enanthate 200mg/mL 1cc IM q 10 days for Klinefelter's Syndrome.  Fioricet 1 or 2 tabs q six hrs prn headache pain; 800 mg ibuprofen q 6 hrs prn headache pain/lumbar/sacral/cervical pain.  I have a fusion at C3-C4 from 2003 form a herniated disc.  I have other herniated discs but will not go for more surgery unless i become paralysed.  thank you for your time
sincerely
henry h huggins
Hi there.

I'm sorry to hear that you are undergoing all of these aches and flashes.  Another angle that we can be thinking of as an explanation for your symptoms are side effects of drugs since you have listed quite a handful (especially your drugs for depression, mood disorder and klinefelter's).  These drugs can be associated with hormonal imbalances and other neurologic manifestations.  I suggest you discuss these possibilities with your neurologist so that they can tailor-fit your drugs to suit you best, minimizing the possible side effects.

Hope this helps.  I pray that the pains would be solved soon.  Regards and God bless.