Neurology Forum

unknown brain dysfunction. help?????

My condition is one I've had all my life & as strange as it sounds when I touch my left & right fingers with each other (kind of connecting both sides of my body together) my condition is 'fixed'. Happens every-time, consistently & has to be my skin touching, the stronger the effect is when my thumb or index fingers on the fingerprint side are touching the opposite ones of the other hand. I am aware of how crazy & impossible this sounds believe me.

When touching Im 'In the moment', the here and now. more logical as opposed to perceiving things just emotionally. take in what my eyes see without needing to focus, can concentrate easily without distraction. think about things whilst still being able to take I what I see, my surroundings. Much less clumsy and spatially aware. I take in what I see Im doing. Not forever internalising constantly in my head as opposed to in my environment. not having to 'think' hard to concentrate on any tasks and perform them. Perceiving and reacting to the world it is so markedly and instantaneously different. Its like my eyes suddenly 'see' outwardly, my thoughts reflecting that.

When I don't touch then all the aboves gone. Im left clumsy, 'internal' daydreamy, emotional, unfocussed, etc
If say my left hemisphere needed 'training' as to the brain being able to learn 'plastic or malleable' then I don't understand why it 'works' when connecting then then suddenly literally 'switches off' when unconnected as though it never existed.
I've been fired from several really easy basic jobs over the years for incompetence yet Im qualified to degree standard.
c.t. scans that showed no physical abnormality or lesions. s.p.e.c.t. scan showed several marked 'hot spot' areas of overactivity in the right hemisphere and some under-active areas in  left. Though that is simplifying things.
Thanks for using the forum. I am happy to address your questions, and my answer will be based on the information you provided here. Please make sure you recognize that this forum is for educational purposes only, and it does not substitute for a formal office visit with a doctor.

Without the ability to examine and obtain a history, I can not tell you what the exact cause of the symptoms is. However I will try to provide you with some useful information.

Trouble with memory/concentration can have several causes. One that comes to mind is low thyroid function, what is called hypothyroidism. Low thyroid function causes fatigue, weight gain, cold intolerance, constipation, and memory/concentration problems in addition to several other symptoms. Another possibility is anemia, which can cause severe fatigue and thinking trouble. In addition, other causes include certain vitamin deficiencies. These can all be diagnosed with simple blood tests.

Another group of problems that can cause thinking problems and fatigue are psychiatric. This is not at all to say you are crazy or making anything up. Clinical (medical) depression and anxiety can sometimes be expressed not in sad or depressed feelings but rather in thinking troubles and fatigue. Treatment improves this.

Finally, certain people live into adulthood with thinking troubles that are later diagnosed as learning disabilities or attention deficit disorder (ADD). Many people think of this as a childhood disorder but it can start in childhood and not be diagnosed into adulthood.

There are several potentially treatable causes to your symptoms. I strongly suggest you share your concerns with your physician. She/he after examining you and obtaining a history may choose to recommend referral to a specialist as necessary.

Thank you for this opportunity to answer your questions, I hope you find the information I have provided useful, good luck.

Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
In this special Missouri Medicine report, doctors examine advances in diagnosis and treatment of this devastating and costly neurodegenerative disease.
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.
Discover some of the causes of dizziness and how to treat it.
Discover the common causes of headaches and how to treat headache pain.
Two of the largest studies on Alzheimer’s have yielded new clues about the disease