Neurology Community
45k Members

vibrations throughout body

i am a 58 yr female i do have type 2 diabetes,hypothyroidism,muscle spasms and restlesslegg syndrome, all of which are treated with medications.
i thought i was going crazy this past january, when my whole body started to vibrate(like holding a purring cat) it only effected me at night mainly. i havent been tested, i did speak to a doctor ( not mine,in the er, she had never heard of this vibration thing,and laughed.)   now i know its real and not something that a doctor should laugh at. can it really be related to diabetes or is it a secondary symptom of one of the other problems i have?
Donna

This discussion is related to vibrations throughout body.
Donna,

I am a 30-year old female and have recently been experiencing exactly what you are describing. It feels like I am leaning up against a generator and no one else can actually see me shaking, but I am. I recently had some blood work to test my ANA levels and they were pretty high, with a pattern indicative of Scleroderma or Lupus. However, it seems that other people on this forum have been experiencing this same sensation and none of them except for one or two has an autoimmune disorder like I do. My doctor and specialist could not give me any help as to what I was describing. They were at a loss! Fortunately, it doesn't bother me too much, now that I know it is not going to automatically kill me. I would still like to know what is going on though. On another message board, someone said that their doctor told them that restless leg syndrome could settle anywhere in the body. That is interesting to me because I see that you have RLS and I believe that I do too, though I have not been diagnosed yet.
Hello.

It is really difficult to diagnose you body vibrations. Many times muscle fasciculations are described as vibrations. If you can differentiate between the two, and feel that this is a distinct problem, we may think of whole body vibration syndrome. You may also have read it on the internet. But the cause for it is always related to working with any vibrating machine.

Regards
I am having this problem too and no one can tell me what's wrong! At first the vibrations were only in my leg..and sometimes my arm. Now it is my entire body....it mostly happens right when I lay down for bed, but it's now happening just by sitting down. Sometimes my body will vibrate for 20-30 minutes and then it just shuts off....and then comes back.
I feel that this is totally abnormal, but what can I do if the doctor's don't have an answer?
I have the exact same situation.  Mine feels like I'm standing on a metal platform with a large operating generator or like I feel after extended use of a weed eater or leaf blower. When I lay down the vibrations move up my legs towards my upper torso.  I have asked people at my house if they feel it and they look at me like I'm crazy!  It cuts off just like it starts and I thought I was in early signs of a heart attack or some neurological problem.  If anyone has any answers please reply.
I have had PN for 6yrs, and 1 of my symptoms is a vibration that runs right through my entire body and I also have RLS.I'm not implying you have PN but the symptoms are similar.And 1 more thing, you have Diabetes and that usually goes hand in hand with PN......I hope its not PN for your sake....Hugs...Timus...
I am 43 and I have had the same vibrations happen to me always at night or if I am napping. I have scleroderma ( judt scar tissue on my back) but it is like my whole body is paralyzed and my whole body vibrates, I have had it happen where it has happened in just my mouth and it felt like my teeth were going to fall out. It is some what comforting to know that it is not just happing to me.
Mark
I am 20 and this is one of my symptoms that I am currently going to a neurologist for. It is terrible! I describe it like a shivering feeling on the inside. My nerves are all shivering. sometimes it is my entire body and other times its just my legs or upper body.
I am trying to track down this feeling that all of you are somewhat describing. I do not have any underlying problems and am not on any medications though.

I can only describe the sensation as intense 'vibrations' on the inside of my entire body. It only lasts for about 10-30 seconds max. I can even hear the vibrations - but no one can see it on the outside. There is no pain, just unusual almost paralyzing feeling. I can even feel the vibrations in my mouth! This has only occured about 10 times in my whole 24 years of life.

A few years have went by without this happening, but I had one of these episodes in my sleep/dream a few nights ago and it had me worried. Although it is not painful and has never interfered with my daily grind - I would like to know what this is and be assured that this is not an underlying issue to something serious.

I though about seeing a nurologist, but I feel like he would look at me like I was crazy! I can't link this to ANYTHING. Any adivce or direction would be appreciated.
nd community-based harassment)  
Do you  think this could be true?  And if it is, is the medecal commuity aware of what is going on?This is what I have sent  to Med Help.  Yet I did not have any answer.
For more then 20 years I have been having "molecules vibrations" ( this expression is not even totally accurate). These "vibrations" on the inside of my entire body, mostly in the Solar Plexus but also at time, in my legs, head, heart.. really affect my whole life. This was accompanied,  at times, with an under skin burn at the point that, for example, some mornings my face is so red that I have the feeling of having a sun burn.  Added to that, tinnutus and a sound in my ear plus actually at times a big sleepiness. and diahrroeas. I saw many doctors, had many exams... Nothing....
A group of people on internet  who have the same symptoms pretend that they are victims of micro waves, ultra or infra sounds weapons, RFID ( radio frequency ..) etc.  This  is some times,  also accompanied with gang stalking harrassment. I also experimented this gang stalking.  
This group people  think that they are guinea pigs for the governement and  pharmaco-medico militaro-industry.  Here are few of these  web sites: http://www.mindjustice.org  and also http:// www.cathcanada.org  (citizen against technological and community-based harassment)  Do you  think this could be true?  And if it is, is the medical community aware of what is going on?
Here is the E -mail I sent to Med Help.  Up to now I did not have any answer:  Without being paranoid, could this be the reason  why  we are having vibrations?

For more then 20 years I have been having "molecules vibrations" ( this expressionis not even totally accurate) mostly in the Solar Plexus but also at time, in my legs, head, heart... This was acompanied,  at times, with an under skin burn at the point that, for example, some mornings my face is so red that I have the feeling of having a sun burn.  Added to that, tinnutus and a sound in my ear plus actually at times a big sleepiness..I saw many doctors had many exams... Nothing.... A group of people on internet  who have the same symptoms pretend that they are victims of micro waves, infra or infra sounds weapons, RFID ( radio frequency ..) etc.which is also accompanied with gang stalking harrassment  and that they are guinea pigs for the governement and  pharmaco-medico militaro-industry. I also experimented this gang stalking.  Here are few of these sites :http://www.mindjustice.org  and also http:// www.cathcanada.org  (citizen against technological and community-based harassment)  Do you  think this could be true?  And if it is, is the medical community aware of what is going on?
I have a question - in this discussion and in another one with similar issues, 'cat purring' symptoms, people have held their breath, but im wondering - can people try changing the actual rate they breath at, to see if this has an effect?

I have experienced similar vibrations on waking up, most frequently after drinking alcohol - there would be a hangover present, vibrations would occur on waking, I would fall back asleep and wake up again with no hangover.

I had tried changing the rate at which I was breathing and had noticed a change/diminishment of the vibrations. I'd like to know if anyone else has a similar experience.

I have had full body vibration for 6 months to a year, but not that often. Since I live in a land where there are earthquakes, I though I was feeling minor shudders in the earth. This only happens when I am in bed. This past week I woke from a very intense dream (good, not a nightmare) to realize I was feeling the vibrations again. I do not hold my breathe. I just lay there and wait for them to pass. The only condition I have is mild high blood pressure. Could this be an underlying condition in all the cases? I am in my 70s. It would be nice to know what this is all about. Perhaps we need an expert who is not just a neurologist to consider this.
I can completely relate to what you have said.  

The frequency and intensity of the vibrations change with alcohol consumption, the more I have the worse the vibrations.

I too have tried changing my breathing, by slowing it down and relaxing, taking slow deep breaths, and it definitely seems to help diminish and lessen the vibrations.  

I would really love to know what is causing these vibrations.  I am having an MRI next week because I am having problems with my back, neck and jaw (TMJ).  

This all started about then, which was about 1 month an a half ago.

I am also suppose to be going for an EMG, however, I haven't received notification yet of the appointment.  I'm very interested in seeing if this will provide any answers.

I have noticed a huge difference in my muscle ability, and when I get tired from exercise or lifting, the vibrations begin. I also noticed that sometimes when the alarm goes off when I wake up in the morning it sets off the vibrations as well.

Did you ever find anything out?  I've been experiencing the same things and just completed all of the same testing.  Here's my experience:  For the last 4-5 months I have been experiencing internal vibrations upon waking from my knees down through my feet.  Sometimes it is felt throughout the trunk of my body.  Sometimes it is VERY noticeable in the soles of my feet during the day.  I have been to see my doctor who referred me to a neurologist.  I have just been through a litany of tests including a full brain and spinal MRI, EMG testing and full spectrum of blood work, including a heavy metals test.  Fortunately, everything has come back in perfect ranges, but unfortunately I am still experiencing these concerning symptoms.  I'm trying to see if they correlate to alcohol consumption or stress.  The vibrations do seem less intense when I am on vacation or abstaining from alcohol.  I am searching for others experiences in hopes of finding answers.  Please share your stories and updates as to any findings.  Feel free to email me.  Thank you.