Neurology Community

vitamin d deficiency/ tingling and muscle twitching

Hi all,
Does anyone know vitamin d deficiency can cause muscle twitching and tingling?
As I know, low calcium can cause muscle spasm, but my calcium and all other vitamins minerals are normal, except vitamin d is low.
Anybody has a same symtoms like me....????

Hi All!
Im from Australia & I too have suffered from muscle twitches, pain, numbness & tingling. My vit D level was 22 a month ago. I take 3000ug a day & my twitches have slowed down but not completely stopped. I too was/am very concerned that its something neurological. I get the twitches in my face, head, fingers, feet, calves, thighs & even my bottom. It drives me crazy. Before reading this site I thought I was on my deathbed. Im a mum of 3 kids. Sometimes I wonder if my constant thinking the worst makes my symptoms worst. Im seeing a rhemutologist at the end of Oct & a neurologist at the start of Nov. Costing alot of money. Anyway Im glad Im not the only one feeling this way. But I feel sorry for everyone who is going thru this & I hope we all feel better soon.
Hi! I noticed this post is five years old, but wondering how you are now? I'm vitamin D deficient and have the same symptoms. MRI of my brain was normal, and I have nerve conductor test in a couple of weeks. I'm hoping it is just vitamin D and not a horrible disease.
Very interesting comments.  I too am Vit D deficient.  I have constant, intense, all-over pins and needles and itching.  Also I have swelling in face and legs at times, mostly in pm and first thing in am.  When checked in Dec. 2010, my Vit D level was 37 (within OK range).  A few weeks ago it was 19.  My doc wanted to put me on 50,000 IUs (or whatever), but I was hesitant due to many probs in the past from meds, etc.  Instead I have been taking 4000 IUs per day and now wonder if I should have followed her advice.  To those taking the massive doses (or injections) or Vit D, have they been helpful?  I also have elevated liver enzymes.  Also am Type 2 diabetic.  Blood glucose which has always been good or borderline suddenly went to 253 --now I'm working hard to bring that down.  Doc put me on metformin a couple of weeks ago.  Currently my blood glucose is  testing at 108-128 first thing in am and 133-148 in pm so it's improving.  But the pins and needles have not gotten better and I wonder about the liver situation.   Anyone out there with all of these symptoms?  Or thoughts in general about this situation?  I'm up writing this at 3:25 am as like everyone else I can't sleep.  It's beyond frustrating.
Noticed your comment about B6 and twitching.  I've taken prox 100 mgs a day of B6 for the past few years since an MD recommended it as a help for "cyclic" edema -- water-retention that moved around throughout my body causing lots of pain.  I guess the B6 helps move fluids through the body or something to that effect.  It definitely made a difference for me, but I've been concerned about taking too much as I know it can adversely affect nerve function.
i was fed up with all the Dr's not knowing what my problem is with the muscles and nerves..tests and tests..everything is fine. sure.. why am i crying and in pain!
i went to a Naturopath .he ordered Vit D test and mine is 30.. some Dr's think lowest should be 40 or  50. the lab said  low is 25 hum...i have neuropathy from medicine i took 15 years ago.....i just started the Vit d3 and we will see.. go to a Naturopath! Dr's are too over worked and do knot know how to balance the body. they just want to give out poison pills. one tried me on neurontin... heavy duty for seizures.. i do not have seizures and need to be able to think.tried 2 pills and said no way!
. another said topamax.. another seizure drug that may help with pain  with lots of side effects (Dopamax!) i said i wil not try.. then she said try the antidepressant Elavil. well that has lots of side effects too..will not take... but  they would not give me pain meds! i am crying for almost 3 months..

now i am on all supplements from the Naturopath. one thing to look for is if your body can't make enough of it's own glutathion sp? you can have weak muscles.. so i take a supplement that is supposed to increase your bodes ability to make glutathion..
Go to the Naturopath Dr. !!!!!!
Hello all.  Just wanted to warn everyone that the usual testing done for Lyme disease is not very accurate so if you took the Western blot and it came back negative, it does not necessarily mean that you don't have Lyme disease.  It's just not a very accurate test and MANY people are misdiagnosed.  I had Lyme disease and experienced many of the symptoms that everyone here is talking about....twitching (on eyelids for me), muscle tenderness, fatigue, headaches.  If you suspect Lyme disease, I would urge you to get blood work examined by a company called Igenex.  They specialize in tick-born diseases and their testing is much more thorough and reliable. There are a couple of other companies that can be used.  A google search should produce these.   Most doctors are ignorant of Lyme and believe wholeheartedly in the Western blot test so you probably won't get much support but if you've tried everything and can't get relief, I would urge you to try this route.  Can't tell you how many people I know that suffered greatly with this disease while many doctors insisted that it wasn't Lyme because of the unreliable Western blot test (myself included).  God bless you all.  
I to have been sufferring for years with unexplained chronic nerve pain. I am recovering from a foot fusion, that had nerve damage done during surgery. @nd surgery done 7 months ago, removing one nerve, repair on another and a neuroma removed. Had terrible nerve pain, tingling can't have anything touch my foot, not even a sock. Also on opposite leg have had 2 nerve blocks this year alone from nerve damage from a femoral hernia from 5 years ago.. My GP the other day ran a vitamin D blood work and I was a 5. So have been on 50,000 a week the last 2 weeks. Well I am not a hundred persent but there has been some improvement so I am going to ask the foot dr if maybe we should hold off on the third foot surgery to see if this will fix the nerve problem in the foot also.  It is amazing that I can at least wear a sock now and can hobble around the house a bit.. Maybe I will walk again without pain.   My concern now is I have been very nauseaed a day after taking the vit D. Second week worse than the first, now I am almost due to take another dose... Is anyone else having problems with nausea?
Hi everyone, i have just come across your posts and it makes me so angry that a simple test for VitD can resolve so many health problems.  I have been suffering from all the symptoms you all state, but particulary tingling in my feet and stabbing pains in my arms arm and legs.  I was convinced I had MS or something like it, so I went to my Doc early January who arranged for various blood tests and said it sounded like a Vit B12 deficiency.  My results were all normal so she said she would refer me to a Neurologist which freaked me out. As i left the surgery she said "oh i should have had your VitD tested also" and gave me a blood test form. She said it could take a couple of months for a referral  so i decided to go private and saw a Neurologist the following week - he said nothing was wrong and suspected i suffered from wrestless leg syndrome.  He did not mention VitD deficiency until i mentioned it.    I have since had the blood test done and have had a msg on phone to say  i need to phone the Doctor (I was on hols so cannot phone now till Monday!) but i suspect it'll be a deficiency in VitD - all my symptoms point to that now, and i am rather relieved.  So why don't Doctors do these blood tests as standard???
I have been having lots of problems.. kidney failure, liver disease, and pins and needles, shooting pain etc.. I have been put on Vit D 3 times now at 50,000 iu a week for 9 weeks as my level was 9.. now I have been sent to the Cleveland Clinic and found out I am pre-diabetic but with all the complications of a full blown diabetic.. I am now in a wheelchair and they said I have neuropathy and that all my probs are a combination.. I also have trigeminal neuralgia, and my bladder does not empty properly so I have to use catheters.. I am 45 and originally from Australia..
have any of you heard of something called MTHFR deficiency? b12 and d3 are involved in the processes that use folate. MTHFR deficiency is a gene mutation that prevents you from using folic acid, so you get low on folate. testing your blood levels of folate wont pinpoint it. the test for elevated homocysteine wont necessarily show it, either, and low folate/high homocysteine is linked to nerve problems, as well as depression/anxiety, gland disorders, fatigue, plaque, chf, infertility/birth defects, and a lot of other seemingly unrelated conditions. your doctor may not have heard of it, but at least 10% of the population has it. if you have any of these other problems, find someone who can test you for MTHFR deficiency and treat it. people with this cant process "folic acid", which is the form supplements come in, so it's important to find someone who is familiar with the protocol.
I recently found out I have high calcium, high PTH levels and low vit D and have been diagnosed with primary hyperparathyroidism - seeing a surgeon next month. I have been suffering from symptoms for years but no doctors ever thought to check for this disease. I was checked for MS etc and finally diagnosed with fibromyalgia - I would never have known except for a bp spike that hospitalized me and an ED doc checked my calcium
Did they tell you why you have trigeminal nerve neuralgia? Is it related to the vit d def? I was just recently diagnosed with vit d def and have had numbness/tingling in my chin. Doctor saying vit d def most likely not the cause but I'm seeing people say they have had that symptom. Just wondering if I'm not the only one with that symptom.
Did you ever get an answer? I'm having the same issue
How insightful this community is.  I too have had many of the same symptoms off and on for years.  The burning pain started in my forearms 4 years ago and I sufferred from headaches and what seems like short term memory loss.  Over the years it has come and gone when I was under major stress.  Recently the burning pain has spread to my whole body including my face and scalp plus added twitching in my right thumb and eye and increased memory problems.  Interesting that my sister had the same issues but we had not shared our stories until recently.  She informed me to have my vitamin D level checked because that is finally what they found for her.  I had tried having MRI (ruule out MS), Sed Rate, B12, Neurological exam etc and jsut told it was stress.  Monday found out after asking for Vit D to be checked that it was 15.   I am currently taking 10,000 units a day for a few weeks to than taper down to 5,000 IU and be rechecked in 2-3 months.  

My question is for any of you that have been taking vit D for some time on how long did it take for you to start feeling better and how long had you had the symptoms before starting supplementation.  My concern is that I have had this deficiency for years and could I have permanent damage or have others found it is reversible if primarily tied to Vit d deficiency and supplementation taken.  Secondly, as long as I am taking Vit D3 10,000 IU over the counter a day would that be comparable to those taking the 50,000 units per week prescription.  Any feedback on how long it took to feel better and the feeling on reversing a long term deficiency would be greatly appreciated.   Just mentally knowing that a supplementation could help is priceless and has helped tremendously.  Thanks for your input and support
I also live in New England.   My vit D level was low, so my doctor put me on 1000 IU/day.  No improvement.  However, when my prescription ran out, I found a bottle of 5000 IU capsules, and started taking one of those per day.  What a difference, in just a few days!  More energy, better mood.   I have friends in New England who take 50,000 IU once or twice/week (especially in winter), and 5,000 IU per day is only 35,000 IU per week.  Try a higher dose for a few weeks, see how you feel, and get your levels checked again.  Good luck!
I am a 35 year old and have had same symptoms as many of you for the last  6 weeks or so. Muscle fatigue (particularly in my legs and arms) muscle cramping, and muscle twitching. As many of you my first concern was that these are signs of a neurological disorder. I went to a neurologist and after an MRI on my brain and neck that came out normal he suggested I had my thyroid checked (I do take synthroid for a slow thyroid and he thought maybe my level needed adjusting) so I went to my family doctor and he said that my thyroid was fine but my Vitamin D was low and put me on 50000 iu twice a week for 4 weeks then 1000 a day to maintain. I just finished the 4 week dose and am a little frustrated that the symptoms are not gone I did read an article where it took 3 months for some improvement in vitamin D deficient patients so I am trying to be patient but am glad to see that I am not just going crazy and other people are experiencing what I am. Hope everyone (including myself) gets well soon!
Are you taking D3 or D2?
hi .. did you have a blood test to first see if you were vitamin D deficient ? there are so many things that could cause tingling and pins and needles in hands. since you say you type all the time made you have carpal tunnel syndrome. that could also give that feeling.
Hi Glad i came across this community last year i was losing a lot of weight and my friends and parents told me to go to the doctor turned out it was a vitamin d problem. i was told to sit in the sun for 15 mins each day. I found that it was strange that i was diagnosed with a vitamin D deficiency because i had just spent 3 weeks in sunny Portugal. I too had tingly arms and legs but thought it was my mattress.
This year I have had muscle twitching and spasms for about 6 months with joint swelling and numbing pain and locked knees at times the joints hurt with a dull pain it makes me cry. I get heart palpitations. had a blood test last week they told me today that I am low in Vitamin B12 foltate I dont know if my doctor is still going to refer me to a neurologist he said that he was initially. I have an appointment for the 5th December. They said that it is a non emergency so dont think its serious. Dont know what the treatment will be. I am however looking forward to getting my energy levels back and getting rid of the spasms
Our symptoms sound so similar.  After being on the Vit D supplements for a while now, have you seen improvements?
i too am having it on my face off and on even on my back i dont really have muscle aches just a vitamin d def and tingling
I have numbness and tingeling in my face, throat and up into my right ear, also muscle twitching.  Had MRI's,CT, lyme test...all negative..don't believe I've had vit D test, have to try it.  But it also sounds like lyme can be missed diagnosed...very unnerving (no pun intended) thinking its MS or other neruo..disease.  Doc has mentioned anxiety too, don't believe it is that...The face and neck thing is the worst...anyone else have this???
Like many of you, I too have fatigue, weakness, muscle aches, tingling, eye twitching, arm & leg twitches, night tremors, headaches and feeling spacy.  I get my blood test results in a couple of days from my GP.  I've had low D results before, but have never taken a supplement.

Lots of people have posted here that they were starting vitamin D supplements.  But there hasn't been follow-up messages from everyone whether or not it worked.  I'd sure like to here that taking D works for more of you.  Also, what's the D levels of people that now feel better? Greater than 70, 80, 90?
Good morning
I started having the same symptoms 9 mo ago. I had a Vit D level checked and mine was 33. My physician never told me if was a "low normal". I have been thru an MRI, 2 neurologist, 1 rheumotologist and several appts. My MRI did reveal a small lesion, I was told probable MS. I was freaked out. I just seen a new physician and he told me that the :normal" levels are incorrect and shold be 50-100. So he told me to start on 5000iu which I started about 5 days ago. I don't notice anything yet. You might want to increase your dosage to 5000iu.. Good luck and hope you feel better soon

Shana

By cmacross | 19 minutes
0 Comments Report
Hi please help, I am a 53 year old white female and about 5 years ago I experienced sever nerve pain in both feet ( so bad that I didn't want to stand on them) I also experience muscular pain in both legs, hips, and pelvic area. I was tested for ms but the MRI showed no lesions. I was then diagnosed with sever poly neuropathy ( for unknown reason). I did have gestational diabetes with all 4 of my pregnancies but my routine bloodwork does not show diabetes now. Most recently, (July of 2013) I am experiencing right ear humming and ringing and daily morning headaches in the frontal lobe area. These morning headaches are not like my migraines . I went to my PCM  and he could not find a cause for this ( no testing was done ). However I did have regular bloodwork done and that showed my vitamin D is only 12. I also went to my eye doc for a routine exam and he said I have glaucoma . He doesn't know why I have it because nobody in my family's as ever had it and my age 53 doesn't fit the profile. He is sending me to specialist this week and I am seeing an ear specialist this week. My eye doc wanted to have a better understanding about my nerve pain and my history. He said he is "very suspicious " and is actually questioning  my trust of my PC. Would there be concern for ms with tests proving optic nerve damage, humming in right ear, daily headaches and nearly zero vitamin D. Can someone out the please help me sort this out. Thank you so much.
Hello All,

I'm so happy i found this forum, i have been having so many of these same symptoms, originally thought it was due to an accident that i had.. Guess my coincidence it all started about the same time. I have had several MRI and CT test to check for nerve and neurology disorders and every one has came back negative. I have had x-rays for the joint pain and that's been normal. I been feeling like I'm crazy, i know I'm not making it up but every test was negative. Right now the tingling of extremities, twitching of eyes, and joint pain has been getting worst and worst. Its completely interrupted my life, i can no longer workout or barely walk. Which is causing weight gain but rapidly. I have a pretty good diet so idk weight so much so fast, has anyone else experienced weight gain? I just requested a blood workup so i will request VitD be included after reading this. I just want help, i cant continue to live like this im only 25, just turned a few weeks ago. And these dr bills are starting to really rack up.
Yes, I too have the muscle twitching mostly in my legs.  My level of vit D was like 24 or 25.  I started taking the Vit D2 50,000 units once per week for 8 weeks.  Twitching stopped.  Vit D allows your body to absorb calcium and is a precursor (if that makes any sense turns into D3) in your body.  if Calcium can't be absorbed properly then it stands to reason this would cause some issues including muscle twitches.  Hope that helps!
Hello, i have been experiencing twitching in my gums of my mouth. I barely started taking Vit D 1000 units. I hope it goes away. Any suggestions??
Hi, not sure if you still keep up with this. But i have some of some symptoms too. I go next week for a MRI. I was wondering how things came out for you?

My daughters are 4 years and the other just turned 1. Just thought I share that...lol
Hi everybody!
I' have been having muscle pain , pain in my arms and hands ...numbness and tingling stiffness in my fingers , and muscle fatigue for more than 7 years  now. I was convinced that I was suffering from Arthritis symptoms. i went to many doctors but they couldn't find the cause of my pain , theu just gave me anti-inflammatory drugs , so sometimes the pain disappear for 6 months / or a year and the pain came back again. in 2012 my doctor told me to check my vitamine D and the surprise that my vitamine D level was (4) That was very deficient after reading other posts, but it apparently it's the cause of my problems. He started me on 50000 iu a week for 3 months  , and it really helped me to get rid of my pain . But now the pain came back again with muscle pain in my neck and shoulders and pain and stifness and tingling in my hands and legs .A month ago i checked my vitamine D again and it was (18)  now my doctor put me again on 50.000 iu a week along with the physical therapy ! still no improvement ! Im really fed up with these symptoms . I'm 27 years old male from new york
hi everyone,many doctors dont know about D.Vitamin D do is not a big issue no worries everyone will be ok. pain killers will make more problem if you take for long.

sarah
My Vitamin D is 18 and I have all your sysmtoms you are say above. I also have had blood test to rule out things, Like lupus, lyme, Low B12. I even Had a MRI to rule out MS.

Ever thing is normal beside the Vitamin D.

I'm sure by now you are feeling better.

Best of wishes!
Renee
Could it be because vitamin K2 should be taken with the vitamin D for it to work properly?
hi I'm pretty sure its due to ur diabetic condition ! cause they say that this tingling sensation is present in diabetic people.
Hey everyone, I have the same problems, a twitching that started at the eye, then went to the rest of my body, along with bone pain in my wrists. I just got diagnosed with vitamin D deficiency. After reading a lot of scientific literature, I found out that vitamin D3 has a longer half life in your body. D3 also gets converted to the active form better in your body. So if the MD gives you D2 ask for D3. If the MD can't get you D3 ask how much you should take, and buy it at your local grocery store or pharmacy. I bought a bottle for less than 10 dollars on amazon.
I just got diagnosed with MS.  I was vitamin D deficient.  Since I've started taking 10,000 IU of D3 a day for the past couple of weeks, I can say that I've had more energy and my spasms are less frequent.  I just take over the counter D3 supplement.  Get the gelcaps, they're better than the powder.  Vitamin D deficiency has been linked to all kinds of autoimmune disorders.  Even healthy people should be taking 1,000 IU/day.  That's what I took before I got diagnosed and I was still low.
Hi im a 16 year old female who has also got a vitamin d deficiency at level 16 which is low and is not normal I am feeling burning,stinging, twitching, and tingling sensations under my skin throughout my entire body fror 4 weeks now its insane I feel like im going to loose the plot its driving me mental can you please tell me if you got better and you stopped feeling these symptoms?
So do you have MS AND Vitamin D def? OR were you misdiagnosed with MS?  I was diagnosed with MS by the radiologist who read the MRI but the neurologist said I didn't have MS, the white spots on the MRI is due to my high blood pressure and diabetes. I am vitamin d def....level was 10.7
WOW!!  10.7 RESEARCHERS ARE SAYING VIT.D SHOULD BE AROUND 70 BUT ANYTHING OVER IS IDEAL!! HOPE U FEEL BETTER SOON!
I have been experiencing tingling, numbness for the last two years. I thought it was just poor blood circulation so I would just go and exercise and eventually it would go away. Plus it gave me a good excuse to exercise anyway due to me wanting to lose weight. However, in the back of my mind I new something was not right so eventually after all that time I went to see a doctor and got a physical.  Blood test were ran but everything was ok. I was so happy but still my symptoms was still there. So it was not to a couple of weeks ago when I went to go see a new doctor which this was a primary doctor she ordered me to take what is called a Boston heart diagnostics. I never had this test done before but I recommend it to every human being on this planet. Its like you taking your car in for a diagnostic test but you are getting it for your entire body and they give you your own personal book of everything that is going right or wrong with your body. This test alone will prevent illness, disease, and even death.  A lot of doctors for some reason don't even think to run this particular test. This test enabled me to get down to the problem at hand which was vitamin d, 25-oh to be exact. My level was a 22 which a normal range should be between 30-100 this is way to low and considered abnormal.  The doctor immediately gave me a prescription for vitamin D 50,000 units. I take one green soft gel once a week for 4 weeks.  What is really crazy is that all the symptoms I was having,  tingling, numbness, fatigue, tiredness, poor energy was due to the fact of something so simple as vitamin D. Wow I could have been cured a long time ago.. I can't express how important it is to see a  doctor. If this is not cured, it can cause at least 17 different types of cancer, ms, Lyme disease,  and all other illnesses including depression. If any doctor is reading this please start checking your patients for this because it could very well become an epedimic if it has not already. Thanks everyone for sharing.
hey glad to hear u hopefully have found a cure for urself,and hopefully feeling better now. but I have done some digging online about this vit.d deficiency,keep doing wat ur doc. says,but researches have done extensive studies on vit. d deficiency and are saying the VERY BEST WAY TO MAKE SURE UR GETTING THE AMOUNT OF VIT. D REQUIRED IS SUNLIGHT!!!SUNLIGHT!! SUNLIGHT!!! GET OUTDOORS IN DIRECT SUNLIGHT IF POSSIBLE.THEY SAY NO SUNSCREEN IS BEST.AND A CLOUDY DAY UR NOT GETTING AS MUCH VIT D AS JUST A SUNNY DAY.IF I FIND THE LINK I WILL POST.I BELIEV EVERYONE WILL B SURPRISED WHAT RESEARCHERS ARE FINDING OUT ABOUT ALL THESE TERRIBLE SIDE EFFECTS OF VIT. D DEFIENCYS. NOW MAYBE MY SWEET SPECIAL NEEDS DAUGHTER WILL GET BETTER TO.TO SAY SHE HAS BEEN SICK W ALL THE SAME SYMPTOMS AS EVERYBODY ON HERE,IS A MILD STATEMENT, SHE HAS AND IS STILL LITERALLY BEING TORTURED BY HER OWN BODY!!,BUT NEXT SUNNY DAY MOMMY WILL HAV THAT SWEET BABY OUTSIDE . WOULD LOVE T NO HOW EVERYBODYS DOING THAT HAV THE VIT.D DEFICIENCY,AND HAVE STARTED TAKING THE D VIT..I DID READ THAT WE SHOULD BE AT AROUND 70 ON A SCALE OF 1-100 AND ANYTHING OVER THAT IS CONSIDERED OPTIMAL!!!OR GREAT!! GOOD-LUCK TO ALL OF U!!:) AND THANKS FOR SHARING.GONNA RESEARCH THAT BOSTON HEART TEST 2,VERY INTERESTING!!
Could you Pls send that gel name that you have used for ur problem?since I have similar symptoms and NY vitamin d was 18.82 send I to ***@****, thanks your help
Thanks for sharing your stories. I am a 32 year old male, and for the past month I have been having this tingling, pins and needle sensation in my legs. This has spread to other parts of my body, and is on-off going. My muscles also seem weak. My doctor ran bloodtests and all was normal, except vitmamin D. He thinks that my symptoms could be stress, or perhaps MS. I am so freaked about MS. I really can´t imagine having to have a chronic disease.. I have a appointment with a neurologist tomorrow, and I hope that MS can be ruled out. I really hope so. I hope that it is just the vitamin D deficiancy that causes my symtoms, and that with vitamin pills, my symptoms will go away. To be honest, I don´t mind constant tingling for the rest of my life, it is just means I don´t have MS. I would rather have what I have now, and not have MS, as I don´t know how that will affect me in life. I´ll update you guys on how it goes.
HI GO OVER AND READ MY PROFILE INFO. U AND WELL AS OTHERS MAY FIND VERY INTERESTING,ABOUT WHAT RESEARCHERS ARE SAYING ABOUT HOW MANY AMERICANS ARE MISDIAGNOSED WITH THE VIT.D DIFICIENCY.AND SUNLIGHT BEING THE VERY!!!!BEST WAY TO GET THAT D. HOPE U FEEL BETTER SOON.!!
Did you ever get any answers?? i'm having the same problem
I'm on my second week of 50,000 vitamin D twice a week after finding my level to be 9.  I've had pretty significant fatigue for a while, but nothing else.  But now all of a sudden I am having tingling in both of my feet.  Is this a normal side effect to the high dose?  I did have this same thing happen a couple of years ago when I tried the high dose vitamin D and it went away after stopping it (not taking the full course of it).  I just don't see this side effect listed anywhere.  I just want to get my vitamin D level back to where it should be!  Thanks.
Did you ever find out if this was normal with the tingling?  Im going thru the same thing now.  I am  into my 3rd week on 50,000 units 2x week now
Hi..i got the tingling after one dose of 5000iu vitamin d.
Hi Marcos,
This is Rajesh from India. I also have the same problem using Vit D since 3 months. But with same like your complaint. Can you please update what happened next after your consultation with doctor.
Hello. I'm in the same boat. for the past 6 months, I've experienced twitching,Burning sensation under skin, muscle spasm, and perceived muscle weakness. I've seen several nueros and doctors. Got a blood test ran, and my Vitamin D was at 16.8 L which is very low, considering the normal range is 30.0-100.0.. I haven't started taking anything yet. My obvious fear was ALS or MS. Could low Vitamin D cause my problems. I can feel the twitching everywhere, including my Face and tongue...
Yes, it could cause every bit of what you're going thru., I even got to the point of having a hard time walking.  I am on a prescription of vitamin D2 50,000 units 2x week
Did you ever find out what was causing your symptoms.  My symptoms are exactly as yours...and my vitamin D was 14.4.  Im scared to death of als or any mnd.  
All of the symptoms that everyone described is what I experienced and I'm on my 11th of 12 week prescription of Vitamin D.  I feel a little better, but not fully.  I'm barely at the minimum range of 30.  I had seen a rheumatologist, neurologist, another neurologist that specializes in MS, made several visits to urgent care, took multiple blood tests, CAT Scan, MRI, made several other doctor's visits, on the phone many nights with the advise nurse,  chiropractor (helps the most), get massages (helped relax the muscle tension), and acupuncture (helped somewhat with pain).  It has dug a hole in my pocket book, but the pain was initially unbearable.  Vitamin D deficient appears to be the culprit, although none of the doctors can really pinpoint the underlying cause of all the symptoms.  All my problems started when diagnosed with the deficiency.  It put in perspective why I was having so many digestive problems.  Every time my muscles acted up it would trigger stomach problems.  I was diagnosed with IBS because of it.  Had a stomach infection that took four treatments to get rid of and it depleted my Vitamin D.  I also was diagnosed with paresthesia and experienced numbness branching out as far as my gum line.  There were days I could not eat but one small meal a day because the inflammation  was too bad and my blood pressure would get high.  I was told it would take a long time to get better.
Hi also have vitamin d deficiency an recently experienced tingling in my lips an chin my vitamin levels were extremely low 7 reading all these comments seeing what the normal levels are is stressfull any ideas
I have vitamin d deficiency  but I had a reaction a bad reaction to the shots after 3 of them,After 2 really but had to throw a fit and prove to the doctor that it was the shots so after they shot me last time I stayed there and when reaction started I went to desk and nurse was called I was taken to ER
I have been having all these symptoms for almost a year now plus my feet burns during shower. I bought the Now D3 of 5000IU with the K2 and within a week or 2 of taking this I started getting heart palpitation, I stopped taking these and no more heart palpitation. At least my problem is minus one. All I get whenever I go to the hospital is some pain relief and referral to see a neurologist. Called their office and they don't take my insurance. How is one suppose to pay for such service which I am not sure would even be the solution as many who have visited still has all the symptoms. I hope we find answers soon
Hi everyone!

I too have gotten tingling in legs and feet, especially my left foot, and pretty much all over sometimes. This started in May, was bad for a week then decreased. Since then I've had tingling, it's ausgust now, but no where near the first time it happened. Well I got my vit D levels checked at a physical, came back with 29.7. It is recommended to be over 30, so I was still low. I now take 1000iu once a day daily, for about a week, and already feel better! I still feel tingling but very slight. And this drastically changed once I took the supplements.so he said I think vit D can cause tingling. Hope this helps!
Hello. I have the exact problem with left leg tingling. It feels as if its kinda numb. Do you feel pain in Arms and head? Or tingling in both or one of your arms? And do you feel dizzy and lightheaded most of the time? Cuz I do and I am really scared something is happening to me.. I have 7.51 Vitamin deficiency..
I feel the tingling in my feet.. not legs
Symptoms... tingling in legs and feet. Twitching in various places. Fatigue. Ive had MRI of brain and neck but no signs of ms or any other major autoimmune disease. Doc gave me a blood test last week and the only thing that came back low was vitamin d at 19. Thinking that is the culprit but this constant tingling in legs and feet is driving me nuts! Any thoughts or suggestions?
Hello, it just seems there is a whole lot of symptoms and questions but very little answers and responses! I wish people would come back with updates! There was one person in here who touched on the possible answer for many of you and no one responded to them. Primary hyperparathyroidism! I NEVER heard of it until a few weeks ago when I had my bone scan and to my shock I had osteoporosis at only 61! Im a very fit active person. This was not what I expected. Then they went to do a blood calcium test. It came back 10.7 which by the lab stats was high but still normal...well being the nosy busy body I am I googled 10.7 calcium and much to my surprise, all signs pointed to hyperparathyroidsim which causes low Vitamin D, elevated calcium and a bunch of nasty symptoms that I am reading above in nearly every post! This disease is most common in post menopausal women but it can affect EVERYONE! Get you calcium checked! The surgery is supposed to be the cure! I am going to schedule mine asap!
What type of surgery are you getting?
Hello everyone. For the past couple of years I've had piriformis syndrome(pain and tingling in the butttocks down to the feet). I feel it more so on my left side. I'm very athletic and active in my job. I tent to lift things but nothing too streneous. At times I sprain my wrist but it heals quickly. I got tested this year for all my vitamin levels and I was slightly vitamin d deficient. 27 and normal range for my lab is 30 and above). I was prescribed by my doctor to take 50,000 IU of vitamin d for 8 weeks. I'm on my 7th week and apparently my symptoms came back. I was wondering if anyone experienced the same issue. Perhaps I strained myself without realizing or the body is still trying to adjust. I pray these symptoms go away. I was doing great for the past 6 weeks while on vitamin d and now it has come back. :(