Aa
A
A
A
Close
Nutrition Management For Pets Forum
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.

Loss of bowel control on Hill's R/D

My cat has lost control of bowels on Hill's R/D .  She poops all over the house...does not appear to know when she is going to poop.  She looks surprised and runs for the box, but does not make it.  The poop is very dry. I cannot make her drink more water. She gets 1/4 cup food twice a day.  
1 Responses
975382 tn?1283486138
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
I would talk to your veterinarian about changing your cat's diet.  By switching her slowly to canned food you can increase her water intake in her food which should help the dryness of the stool.  There may be too much fiber for her in the R/D which is triggering the frequent defecation.  There are other effective low calorie food such as Royal Canin Calorie Control and Purina OM.  Ask your vet which diet would be best and have him/her calculate calories for your cat based on a canned or canned and dry diet.

Judy Karnia, DVM
Scottsdale Cat Clinic
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Members of our Pet Communities share their Halloween pet photos.
Has your pet ever swallowed your prescription medicine? Vet tech Thomas Dock explores the top 10 meds that harm pets and what you can do to prevent a tragedy from happening.
Like to travel but hate to leave your pooch at home? Dr. Carol Osborne talks tips on how (and where!) to take a trip with your pampered pet
In You Can Prevent a Stroke, Dr. Joshua Yamamoto and Dr. Kristin Thomas help us understand what we can do to prevent a stroke.
Smoking substitute may not provide such a healthy swap, after all.
How to lower your heart attack risk.