Nutrition Management For Pets Forum

Persistent diarrhea in adult cat

Hi!
I have an adult cat with acute diarrhea for 4 months now. It turned out that he has some internal parasites and he was given Profender for this reason. Blood, microbiological and biochemistry tests showed nothing. Last week he was on Norodine and Gentamicine, but the diarrhea has not stopped. Despite being on a Hill’s diet, the cat is losing weight and the diarrhea is still not gone. Now we are waiting for the tests to be repeated.

Could you give me some advice how to control  the diarrhea until the tests results are ready? We tried Smecta and activated carbon, but the effect is negligible. Is there any kind of a liquid food? How can I prepare a home made rehydratation solution for a cat? What else can I do to help him suffer less?
Thank you!

Over the last several years, we have had wonderful results clearing up chronic diarrhea in cats like yours and cats with Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD) using a product called Tylan. This product is not labeled for cats but works like a charm and clears loose stool up in 24-48 hours. Tylan is an inexpensive, bitter tasting yellow powder labeled for poultry. It has no adverse side effects other than if you use too much it can cause temporary constipation.

We also recommend a natural, home made diet, which I am glad to make up for you and a natural cat vitamin supplement called VitaLife.

If your cat is dehydrated your vet can show you how to give SQ fluids at home. To encourage drinking many cats like running water and you can buy a cat drinking fountain at most pet supply stores.

Thank you,
Dr. Carol Osborne, DVM
Thank you for your response!
It turned out that my cat has a heavy Streptococci infection. Because of it, he is put on clarithromycine since yesterday-twice a day,orally. I hope he will get better soon. I will ask my vet about VitaLife.

Also, we keep him on Hill's. Is there a better diet/food for his condiotion?

Thank you again!
Best reagrds,

Dariya
The best foods for all cats are wet foods whether all canned or home-made, regardless of the cat's condition.

Evo/Innova, Merricks, Nature's Variety, Wellness, Orijin canned,  and others are all good brands.  Please check the book: "The Cat Bible" for others.  Just make sure they are Grain and gluten-free.  

Additionally, many cats are lactose intolerant.  Keep your cat away from any product that may have milk products, these can contribute to IBD and other gastro-intestinal issues.  Some products that may contain dairy include: Colostrum, yogurt, milk and cheese (of course), and some probiotics.  Even allowing you cat to lick residual milk from the bottom of your cereal bowl can set a sensitive cat off.

A good Probiotics formula in a non-milk based form, however would be very beneficial for you cat.  A Chinese herbal formula, which is available online is extremely helpful for cats with intermittent or chronic diarrhea.  It is called Shen Ling Bai Shu.  If you find that even with treatment for the Streptococci infection there is some residual diarrhea, the herbal formula would be worth a try.  

Please keep us informed!
Unfortunately, the antibiotic doesn't seem to work. Already day 7, diarrhea is still present. My vet insists on keeping the antibiotic for more 7 days. However, I am ready to hear more about alternatives like the Chinese herbal solution? Is it a good option for cats, what about doses and contradictions, period for use to reach a result? Do you have experience giving it to cats? If so, was it fully successful or the effect was temporary? Any other options?

Thank you!
I have had good success with a veterinary prescription diet made by Purina called EN.  Purina also makes Fortiflora which is a probiotic you sprinkle on the food.  You can ask your veterinarian about these.  Probiotics can especially help if your cat has been on antibiotics.  Sometimes you have to try several foods to see if there is a food intolerance or allergy.  If EN doesn't work, I will usually try a hypoallergenic diet next or grain free diet.

You also might consider testing for cobalamin, folate, and pancreatic enzymes to see if there is a vitamin deficiency or pancreatitis.  Was a thyroid level checked?  Your cat could also be developing inflammatory bowel disease or lymphoma - an abdominal ultrasound is a good first step to look for these although a biopsy of the intestines is needed for true diagnosis.

Judy Karnia, DVM
Scottsdale Cat Clinic
The hypoallergic diet was a really bad idea because it caused vomiting. Pancreatic enzymes  and thyroid level were not tested. Probably, if the antibiotics do not work until the 14th day, the vet will perform more tests. I will ask my vet about Purina EN, it might help.

We give the cat probiotics, however I would like to hear more about supporting drugs, herbs or whatever....the Chinese herbal solution sounds as an option. What about dose for cats?? I guess it should be started after the antibiotic treatment.

thank you
Members of our Pet Communities share their Halloween pet photos.
Has your pet ever swallowed your prescription medicine? Vet tech Thomas Dock explores the top 10 meds that harm pets and what you can do to prevent a tragedy from happening.
Like to travel but hate to leave your pooch at home? Dr. Carol Osborne talks tips on how (and where!) to take a trip with your pampered pet