Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close
Avatar universal

B6 Toxicity

This is more of a comment than a question, but I would welcome info from anyone who has any experience with this situation. I took a prescription called Folcaps (which had 25 mgs of pyridoxine in it) for a year. In February of 06 I began experiencing symptoms which have now been diagnosed as Pyridoxine (b6) Toxicity Induced Neuropathy. I did not get this diagnosis until August 15, after four MRIs, several specialists and balance testing. My b6 blood level was 81 - the maximum safe level in this test was 32. When reading about b6 toxicity one reads about tingling hands and feet and being "wobbly on your feet" and things of that nature. It can be much more than that. Be careful with Vitamin b6. It's not known if the neurological damage is reversible. Some studies show it is, some show it is not. The damage I have suffered extends to my thyroid, my blood pressure has been lowered (to an unsafe level - it was healthy before), my balance has been damaged - I don't know where my right foot is in space, I've had insomnia, my symptoms are too lengthy to list here. The fatigue that I have been experiencing for the past several months has started to lift now that I've stopped taking the medication, but it is still profound...another hallmark symptom of b6 poisoning. This is a serious toxic situation and one that is not understood by the medical community. I am waiting to find out how much of my life I will get back. I am rebuilding my stamina & neuropathways with an optimistic outlook. And getting the word out. MD's don't know about vitamins. Work with nutritionists. Don't go it solo
1092 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Avatar universal
I was diagnosed with b6 induced neuropathy in July of 07 from Centrum Vitamins. I had experienced numbness in my toes for at least 3 years. The numbness and tingling got progressively worse. No physicians in my area could tell me the problem even a neurologist. Finally I told my primary physician of the electric shock-like vibrations going up into my chest and face. He contacted a neurologist at Johs Hopkins who called me at home and asked me to see him the next day. I was tested with the nerve conduction tests and gave 9 samples of blood. Two weeks later, he called me and told me my b6 level was 66 and it had more than likely produced th neuropathy. It was a long, very difficult 4 or 5 ordeal mainly because so many no absolutely nothing about this terrible condition - and I am talking about the medical field! My shocks are not what they used to be now. I can now sleep without sleep aids, but my mobility is still limited due to the incomplete recovery of my nerves in mainly my left leg. I am a Christian and find my solace in prayer and reading Scripture. I know I am in good hands, but I did go through anxiety and depression. My wife was a huge help. Others just don't understand. I am 63 so the healing will be longer than you will experience. But you, like me, will heal. The nerves will recover. From what I have read, and I read everything I can about this problem, only those who have take massive doses of the pyrodoxine do not recover. All the rats recover. Sorry for the poor humor. I would be glad to talk with you about this. Just let me hear from you. God bless.
Helpful - 0
Avatar universal
I have been detoxing from severe B6 poisoning for over 10 months, and it is a living nightmare.....My neurologist told me that it will take up to 3 years for the nerves to heal.....and then I'll know if I have permanent damage.....I've been severely poisoned for over 10 years, as my first neurologist missed it totally 10 years ago.....so I'm crippled, and bed-ridden, and now my heart feels like it is ready to give out.....lots of palpitations, starts and stops, shooting pains, etc.....My advice....take it one day at a time, stay focused on God, eat only organic foods, rest, rest, rest, rest, rest, and tell the nay-sayers to nay-say no more!.......Good luck!
Helpful - 0
Avatar universal
Wow, this is eye opening.  I thought B was water soluble... i.e. pee it out if you have too much.  I will pay more attention now.
Helpful - 0
Avatar universal
I have been drinking an OTC "energy drink" with 8333% of B6 in it ( and hight percentages of other vitamins) daily for appx 3 years now.  I know I am addicted because I crave it at 10 am every day.  Am I to understand that this is going to do these horrible things to me?  My body is not washing out this vitamin as it does with the vitamin C and niacin?
lsstressedout
Helpful - 0
Avatar universal
don't forget, that prescription versions of some vitamin formulas that exist, may be
potent, and often are mixed with fillers that are for lack of a better description, nasty.
however, yes, if the amount of b-6 was high enough, it could theoretically be the cause.
it is a dilemma, because b-6 can alleviate alot of things related to cardiovascular issues,
and is involved in seratonin and so forth, even immunity.  so to not be able to take it
is, well maybe not the worst thing but i'd rather see people able to tolerate some.
it is great you are better.  i am not with my b-6 issue, but it's slowly working i think.
and being in this field i never had much concern, yet, here i am with you on this.
froot.
Helpful - 0
Avatar universal
okay...it's been a year since my symptoms have developed and about 6 months since I stopped using the Cerefolin - mega vitamin my neurologist gave to me for low b/12.....which also contained mega doses of b/6....I have atrophy in my feel...have difficulty walking, lost arms/legs strength.  I found a new neurologist that I am going to ...I am going to ask to be tested by something called Charcot Marie Tooth...I have some symptoms of this disease as well as my daughters.  There are a list of medications that you shouldn't take...b/6 is one of them (mega doses).  I suggest that you guys take a look at the symptoms for this disease and see if this why your reaction to b/6 was toxic.  It's a disease that not a lot of doctors know about...in the state of Pennsylvania there are only 8 doctors I've found listed that actually have experience with this specific disease.  The most common symptoms are hammertoes and high arches...but there are so many more.  It is important to know if you have it as there are many medications that are toxic to CMT patients..including penicillian.
Helpful - 0
This discussion was closed by the MedHelp Community Moderation team. If you have any questions please contact us.

You are reading content posted in the Nutrition Community

Top Healthy Living Answerers
Avatar universal
Arlington, VA
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
14 super-healthy foods that are worth the hype
Small changes make a big impact with these easy ways to cut hundreds of calories a day.
Forget the fountain of youth – try flossing instead! Here are 11 surprising ways to live longer.
From STD tests to mammograms, find out which screening tests you need - and when to get them.
Tips and moves to ease backaches
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.