B6 Toxicity

This is more of a comment than a question, but I would welcome info from anyone who has any experience with this situation. I took a prescription called Folcaps (which had 25 mgs of pyridoxine in it) for a year. In February of 06 I began experiencing symptoms which have now been diagnosed as Pyridoxine (b6) Toxicity Induced Neuropathy. I did not get this diagnosis until August 15, after four MRIs, several specialists and balance testing. My b6 blood level was 81 - the maximum safe level in this test was 32. When reading about b6 toxicity one reads about tingling hands and feet and being "wobbly on your feet" and things of that nature. It can be much more than that. Be careful with Vitamin b6. It's not known if the neurological damage is reversible. Some studies show it is, some show it is not. The damage I have suffered extends to my thyroid, my blood pressure has been lowered (to an unsafe level - it was healthy before), my balance has been damaged - I don't know where my right foot is in space, I've had insomnia, my symptoms are too lengthy to list here. The fatigue that I have been experiencing for the past several months has started to lift now that I've stopped taking the medication, but it is still profound...another hallmark symptom of b6 poisoning. This is a serious toxic situation and one that is not understood by the medical community. I am waiting to find out how much of my life I will get back. I am rebuilding my stamina & neuropathways with an optimistic outlook. And getting the word out. MD's don't know about vitamins. Work with nutritionists. Don't go it solo
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Excessive vitamin B6 (pyridoxine) intake (that is over 100mg/day) causes sensory and peripheral neuropathy. Some symptoms are: unsteady gait, paresthesia (tingling/pricking) and impaired tendon reflexes, and also cause degeneration of the dorsal root ganglia in the spinal cord, loss of myelination, degeneration of the sensory fibers in peripheral nerves.
Tolerable upper limit for adults is 100mg.
1998 RDA ranges for Vitamin B6: 1.1 mg to 2.0 mg day (based on age sex and pregnant and lactating.)
B6 is found in plant foods, animal foods (meat) and whole grains.
B6 is lost when foods are highly processed.

Plasma PLP concentrations are thought to be the best indicator of vitamin B6 tissue stores. 24 hour urinary test over 1-3 week period is recommended to more accurately assess vitamin B6 status.

Eating a balance whole diet is best; if you take multiple supplements - make sure you are not exceeding the RDA and if you are taking medications - check with your pharmacist and MD about Drug Nutrient Interactions. Some meds may interfere with those supplements or vice versa.

Hope this helps! Stay Healthy

(Referenced from S.Gropper: Advanced Nutrition and Human Metabolism, 4th ed, 2005)
Helpful - 0
I recently took about 200mg/day B6 in addition to a B-Complex at about 30mg/day.  I took this to help with menstral issues.  I have taken a B-Complex for a long time, with no issues, but not this high of dose.  Within 10 days of adding the extra 200mg/day, I had some mild dizziness and maybe a little tingling.  I stopped taking it right away but in the days following, I mostly noticed problems with my vission - well dizziness but feeling like it was harder to focus.  About the same time I had gotten a new high quality food based multi supplement from my acupuncturist, and after a week or so after my B6 symptoms subsided (although not totally gone) I started the new food based supplement which included 100mg/day of B6.  Within a few days, similar symptoms were back - not as intense and mostly related to dizziness, blurry vision.  So I stopped the multi and I also stopped a green drink which I had been consuming for a long time b/c it has a food form of B6 (it's kind of like a multi too).  So then again after a week or two with nothing and things improved, I just went back to my green drink.  After a few days, I seems to be worsening again.  I can't understand how maybe 10 days of this non-food based 200mg B6 has made it so that now I can't tolerate food source supplements, especially the green drink which I've used for years and is basically just food.  I'm hoping someone can tell me if my symptoms sound like B6 toxicity - they're hard to explain - I don't have the pain some of you mention - but it seems that I have a harder time seeing and focusing - and sometimes that's mixed with mild dizziness and slight loss of balance.  Also, does anyone know if I'm now not going to be able to tolerate food based B6 just b/c of this one short incident.  Should I wait a certain amount of time b/4 I take anything, and then I'll be able to tolerate it.  Or will this always be an issue for me?  I need other things in the green drink and multi - again they are food based, but it sure seems like when I take them I get a little worse again.  I'm having a really hard time knowing what to do and how can I ever explain this to a doctor - its hard to describe my symptoms. I appreciate any help anyone can give me!!!  Thanks!!!
Helpful - 0
i'm feeling encouraged by many of the comments. one thing i'm interested in knowing from those who have healed within three years, does the pain gradually go away or somewhat instantly go away? does year one feel more painful than year two?
zapper 11
Helpful - 0
I'm breastfeeding now. and just recently I found I'm toxic with B6. I taking B6(50mg) for several month, everything was fine, baby and myself. and just around two month ago, I took a Calcium & Magnesuim pill with B6, then problem happened, I feel pain, numbness from my fingers and toes. Then I stoped it. However, my baby has problem, first she show up skin problem, the temper, the red eye, sweating, coughing, weight lossing, night cry ... I talked with baby's pediatrician about that, he had no clue. just gave us infantol for that. first few days, baby was ok, problems almost dispeared,however, then I found she start overexited after the dose. (Infantol also has B6 in it) Then, I decided stop it. She looks ok. However, just few days ago, I suffer the B6 toxicity again from the food, this time a little bit serious. She also respond serious, she had so overexitation for 2 days, insomina again, weight loss 1.5 lbs in 2 days. Now myself, feel ok. However, I do really worry about her.

Would mind share your experience with me about your baby's treatment? Please give me some suggestion from your experience. I will be really appreciat for your help.
and also thanks god, i have chance to get so useful information, thanks veryone here for sharing your experience.
Helpful - 0

Helpful - 0
I am new to this post but have found it so helpful. I have what I believe to be B6 toxicity: it has been a long 4 year story - a lot of ups and downs while taking 25-50mg / day...mainly severe fatigue, pins and needles, etc. I have seen so many doctors... I stopped taking my multiviatmin about 6 weeks ago and my experience has pretty much mirrored those above. "Total nightmare" sums it up best. I'll save you the medical side of the story since its pretty much useless....

I would welcome any feedback on this concept of getting worse initially. Could anyone tell me how long the detox process intensified before they felt a sense of improvement? Do symptoms change as you go through it? (Initially I was more fatigued, now the heavy neuro symptoms seem to be evolving, difficulty walking, nerves feel raw, muscle weekness and hands etc....) Has anyone else experienced severe "crashes" of profound weakness? At times I seem to experience these rapid, extreme declines, I wind up feeling inexplicably horrible, barely able to move or even speak. I notice that I become extremely thirsty and drinking a lot of water seems to help. It could be associated with increased activity or eating, but I really try to keep the B6 in my diet to a minimum. Last question -any practical advice on how to deal with B6 foods, aside from small meals and avoiding the high B6 foods. Right now I can't seem to tolerate them at all (except in small quantities with some wine at dinner as the alcohol seems to block B6 absorption) - is it best to really try hard to avoid them for a while or to try to tolerate small quantities? Thank you for any feedback...wish you all peace and comfort.
Helpful - 0
This discussion was closed by the MedHelp Community Moderation team. If you have any questions please contact us.

You are reading content posted in the Nutrition Community