Nutrition Forum

Confusion

Hi, I'm 17. I danced intensively for a long time, so I have a very muscular body.  I am 5'7" and right now I weigh about 137 lbs. This is the most I have ever weighed.  At my height, I have weighed 118, 125, and 133 pounds when I was exercising different amounts.  I have hypothyroidism (Hashimoto's).  My question is in a couple parts.  I am never hungry.  Ever. But I crave the taste of food, so I eat,  but I am never hungry when I eat, and I don't really understand why.  Second: even though I have a thyroid problem, I have a very easy time gaining and losing weight. For example, if I just eat sparingly, I would lose 5 pounds by the next day sometimes.  I don't really know how I should be eating, or when, or how often. Any info/thoughts/ideas you have would be great. Thanks.
Hashimoto is different from hypothyroidism. Hashimoto is an autoimmune thyroid disease and hypothyroidism is a condition of the thyroid. What happens with this disease is that antibodies react against protein in the thyroid gland, which causes gradual destruction of the gland itself. Eventually it is will be unable to produce the thyroid hormones the body needs. One of the characteristics of the disease is the severe fluctuation of the hormone levels (hyperthyroidism / hypothyroidism), which causes fluctuation of weight loss and weight gain. This maybe why you are able to loss and gain weight fast at times as you stated. As your disease progresses you will find that you will not be losing weight as rapid as now, and may struggle with maintaining weight due to the condition of hypothyroidism, unless your MD puts you on medication. Hopefully you are being followed by a specialist for this disease, and presenting taking medication or will be in the future (depending on hormone levels). I am not clear on why you have no appetite. You would have to ask your MD that question.
There is no ‘diet’ for this disease, however, you need to eat healthy and continue exercising in order to maintain your weight. From the measurements you stated you are the correct weight for your height. Hope I was able to help you.
14 super-healthy foods that are worth the hype
Small changes make a big impact with these easy ways to cut hundreds of calories a day.
Tips and moves to ease backaches
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.