Nutrition Forum

Healthy Diet and Weight

Hello. I am 15 years old with a BMI of 19.65. My weight is 104 lbs. and my height is 5 ft. 1 in. I briskly walk for about 30 minutes or more a day but otherwise I believe I would be labeled as a couch potato. I am slightly uncomfortable with my weight but I am willing to keep it or gain in order to grow. I was told that I am not eating correctly and need to snack every now and then to keep my metabolism running. I was also told to exercise more to keep up with the increase in eating. I am not entirely sure if this is correct and I would like expertise on this. I would also like to know how much of the different foods I am supposed to eat on a daily basis and how they could benefit my health and diet. Should I exercise more or be more active? Would snacking be a good idea? If so, is it alright to have snacks at night for example around 8 pm to 9 pm if I go to bed around 10 pm? I would be very grateful to have any suggestions or information on these topics. Thank you for your time.
From the measurements you wrote, your weight is between the 25-50 percentile and your height is just above the 10th percentile for your age. You are under 20 years old and need to track your weight and height on a children's Growth Chart. You are normal for your age (not underweight or overweight). For healthy eating, eat a Heart Healthy diet which means a moderate fat diet to lower the fat content of your foods, increase ‘good’ fats to benefit your body. Moderate fat diet means = use polyunsaturated (omega 3, corn oil, nuts, etc) fats and monounsaturated (olive oil, canola oil, peanut oil, etc) fats, no saturated fats (high fat snack foods, butter, fat spreads) and no trans fats. Eat low fat meats (chicken, fish, loin of pork) or non-meat sources (soy products, nuts), low fat vegetarian combinations (rice & beans, pasta & beans, low fat cheese & pasta), low fat and substitute dairy products (1% milk, low fat/fat free yogurts, low fat soy milk/soy yogurt), use plant oils, non trans-fat margarines, and eat a lot of fruits and vegetables. Eat daily high fiber breads and cereals (oatmeal).
As for exercise, you need to do activities that are fun and do physical movement. Dancing and jazzercise are fun and you are burning calories doing them. Swimming games and swimming dancing or exercising are again fun and burning calories. Join a bowling league or any type of sport. Maybe do yoga where you learn to stretch your muscles and tone up your body at the same time. Walking is also the best form of exercise and you can simply do that by increase you’re walking to 1/2 hour a day. That 1/2-hour can be broken up through the day, 10 minutes here and 20 minutes there. Hope this helped to give you some ideas.

14 super-healthy foods that are worth the hype
Small changes make a big impact with these easy ways to cut hundreds of calories a day.
Tips and moves to ease backaches
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.