Nutrition Community

How much carbohydrates are allowed on a daily diet?

Daily Carbohydrates consumptions in a diet.
1 gram of carbohydrate or protein provides 4 calories, and 1 gram of fat provides 9 calories. When it comes weight loss or gain, what matters most is the total calories.
Carbs should make up the bulk of your caloric intake 45 to 65 percent.
Not all carbs are good on a weight loss diet. You should be filling your diet with healthy, unprocessed carbs such as whole grains, fruits and vegetables, rather than processed carbs like white bread and pasta, sweets and soda. A 2011 study in the "New England Journal of Medicine" found that weight gain was associated with intake of unhealthy carbs and weight loss with eating healthy ones. On a 1,500-calorie diet, 675 to 975 of those calories should come from carbs. That's around 170 to 245 grams daily. The range allows you to create a healthy diet that suits your personal taste.

Again, calories are not the main source of weight gain, folks.  So often we all speak of the metabolism of the food we eat into sugar, but when people on here speak of weight suddenly it's all calories.  The people who have been studied the longest in the gold standard studies eat a fairly high carbohydrate diet, a moderate amount of protein, and the better kinds of fats.  We all know the Mediterranean diet, for example, which has been associated with longer life, better health while alive, and less obesity, yet it's a relatively low protein diet and contains a fair amount of simple carbs.  So how many daily carbs are you allowed?  As many as your body seems to find suitable, but the majority of your food consumption for optimum health, at least as far as we know now by studying actual humans, should be carbs by far, with vegetables and fruits being the most important, but also grains, especially whole grains.  If you are building muscle because you like to be muscular, you need more protein than someone who isn't trying to do that.  But that isn't health and a lot of very muscular people are quite overweight -- just go to your local gym and look at all the fat bodybuilders.  Diet is simple if you eat by instinct and acculturation; it's very hard if you think about it a lot, like most of life.  Somewhere in the middle is probably the best course.  But when you ask how many carbs are "allowed," well, this isn't law, it's your life.  You get to do whatever you want, and hopefully you'll find the place that makes you the healthiest and happiest in the short and long term.
If you go to the gym yes you could see plenty of fat gym goers. Now professional body builders (That's professional body builders) are the ones in good shape. It's the professional weight lifters that are well overweight.
Plenty of body builders off season gain weight and don't follow the diet when not competing.
Professional bodybuilders come in two types:  steroid users and the ones who used to use steroids but stopped and compete in drug-free contests.  The ones we see in the magazines and on TV are the steroid users.  Most of us can't aspire to look like that without drugs.  But you can certainly be extremely muscular without being overweight -- I was referring to the gym rats who just enjoy lifting weights, but most professional athletes today especially in basketball and football but in almost every sport are pretty well built nowadays.  Except for the ones who are fat on purpose (like football linemen) they're definitely not fat, but many of them use steroids as well and know how to get away with it.  Or they blood dope or use HGH.  I belong to  Gold's Gym, and it's got two kinds of people -- the really incredibly toned people who do cross-training and the fat bodybuilders.  But they are very strong.
Cardiovascular exercise will burn calories, but resistance training is what you want if you want to burn fat. Boosting your muscle mass increases your metabolism, you'll burn more calories all the time, even when you're not working out.
Not sure this is true, Gym.  Aside from closed studies, look at people -- who is the thinnest at the Gym?  Not the bodybuilders.  It's the people doing the bike classes and the elliptical machines.  Look at track and field -- who's the leanest, the sprinters or the weight lifters?  Look at sports -- who's got the leanest bodies, the basketball players who run all the time or the baseball players, who don't?  Real world tells me cardio burns the most fat.  It certainly did for me -- when I'm injured and can't do cardio, I gain weight.  Weight lifting has never done as much for me as basketball playing or martial arts did, which are much more cardio oriented.   Just my view of it from looking at folks and from my own experience over the years of changing capabilities.
Studies have demonstrated that after a weight training workout, the metabolism can be boosted for up to 36 hours post workout.
So lets say you burn 60 cal. per hour just doing nothing but sitting!
After a workout you'll burn 70 cal.
multiply that by 36 hours it adds up.
So in a monthly routine it does add up.
To generate a high amount of post-calorie burn With cardio you'd have to be doing it for a very long duration.
I guess when I did those things I did do them for a long time.  I know that when I lift weights I do like the feeling -- I like moving from task to task.  But I miss the hour of running or the three hours of basketball I used to do.  But you're right, I did do them for long periods of time.  Ah, to be young again!  Do you miss running?  I've been walking a lot since my surgery, but there's just no real burn to it.
I loved doing interval running! When I workout I do strength training first and cardio last. My reason is doing cardio first you get exhausted and don't have the stamina to do strength training.
I do kettle bells approximately 130 reps. in 10 sets. I use an Everlast timer.
Thank you for the informative answer ☺️ it is much appreciated .
I would like to tell you about the way that I eat along with more and more people every day. I eat a very low carb, moderate protein, high fat diet, also known as the Ketogenic Diet. Daily, I eat approximately 20g carbs MAX. I have about 60-75g protein, and 100-150g fat depending on how hungry I feel that day. Typically I might eat 5 slices of bacon, a fried egg or two, half an avocado with some salsa, sour cream and maybe shredded cheddar cheese, some roasted chicken thighs with skin on, with some roasted or steamed veggies tossed in butter and seasoned. And if I haven't eaten that much food, I will have a "bulletproof coffee" which is brewed coffee processed in a blender cup with some butter, coconut oil, heavy whipping cream and occasionally some sugar-free vanilla syrup (or pumpkin pie flavored syrup for this time of year! Yum!). You are going to hear pushback about this because most people just can't accept that a high-fat diet can be very healthy, but I am in a group of about 30,000 other people working this lifestyle, and we love it. There are many studies going on with this diet right now to test its effectiveness for many diseases such as Alzheimer's, Type 2 Diabetes, Epilepsy, etc. Many of the group members have reversed their Type 2 Diabetes, come off of their cholesterol and blood pressure meds, and lost literally 10 tons of weight collectively. Also, we have seen so many cases of improved bloodwork, cholesterol, blood sugars, kidney and liver function, etc. It is truly a healing diet.  Also, there is nothing to buy except FOOD! :) Google is your friend. Check out Ketogenic Success facebook page, youtube videos by Drs. Phinney & Volek, Dr. Jason Fung, and ButterBob Briggs. Read books called Keto Clarity and Cholesterol Clarity. Do lots of research.
Don't know if this is an ad or not -- is this spam or a genuine post?  What we do know is that long-term, the best studies show that high protein diets create problems for many people, including more cardiovascular problems and especially problems for diabetics.  So while you may be getting short-term benefits, the evidence for long-term health doesn't match your preference for eating foods you probably just enjoy more than the more recommended high carb diets high in vegetables and whole grains that have proven by following people for long periods of time to provide the least obesity, longest and healthiest lives.  It's fine for you to be a guinea pig for the rest of us, however, and it would be good for all of you to get enrolled in a university-based research study so we can follow you for forty years double blinded and and see how it turns out.  So far it hasn't gone so well for your choice of diet in these gold standard studies, but maybe you can prove them wrong where others haven't.
Professional bodybuilders fall into one category, not two. Steroid users. Yes they have great genetics but gaining muscle while loosing fat is not easy without large doses of drugs. This includes anabolic,hgh, insulin...etc
As far as diet and training is concerned. Cardiovascular is great especially when an individual is weight training. Weight training is the best was to change the way the body metabolites food and burns fat. Powerlifters are not the same animal. There goal is to lift as much as possible. Thus they work the body in a completely different way. They welcome water weight as it aids in strength.
As far as how much carbs one needs on a diet. It all depends on how active an individual is. Don't get enough and your body will use protiens as energy sources and that you don't want. You can tell when this starts to happen as sweat will have an ammonia smell.
The reason weightlifters and bodybuilders consume more protein besides the obvious "it builds muscle" is the body doesn't store protiens like it does carbs.
The problem is everyone jumps on fad diets without understanding nutrition and what the body does with it. Diets really need to be tailored and understood. Most people are to lazy to put in the effort to learn and or prep actual meals. It's easier to eat a garbage lean cuisine or do the stupid shake crap.
It's not easy to get a highair calorie diet with clean foods. Rant over.lol
Experts suggested to take approx 100-150 grams of carbohydrates per day. This is more of a “moderate” carbohydrate intake & very much appropriate for the people who are lean, active and simply trying to stay healthy and maintain their weight.
If you want to improve your health, then choose unprocessed foods such as meats, fish, eggs, vegetables, nuts, healthy fats and full-fat dairy products.
One can also take high quality nutritional supplement in their diet as well. There are many online store like Beeovita, Amazon, Himalaya  whose nutritional supplements you can give a try.