Nutrition Forum

Pre-Diabetes Diet

I recently had an FBS done which came back 107.  My Dr. said I don't have diabetes but when I went online I saw that the ADA considers a FBS between 100-126 pre-diabetes. This really upset me because my Dad was diagnosed with diabetes at the age of 44.  I inherited his skinny genes and have been underweight all of my life . My question is I want to do what the ADA recommends which is watch my carbs , exercise more and do everything I can to avoid getting full blown diabetes.  How does a skinny person deal with pre- diabetes?
  I am finding by watching my carbs, exercising daily and cutting out the sweets which I have always loved, I am losing some weight ( am now 95 pounds) which I can't afford. How can I watch my carbs and have portion control without losing weight? I have always had a great appetite and have been able to eat everything I want without gaining weight. I would so appreciate any advice you could give me.  Unfortunately, my insurance will not pay for me to see a dietician and I can't afford to go on my own .
By the way, I have been eating lots of walnuts and peanuts which are low glycemic and fattening to help me with my weight but I'm not sure if that's good or not.   Thanks so much in advance.
Our FBS will fluctuate constantly throughout the day due to the filling/empting of the stomach and food. To find out if you are diabetic you need to have a Glucose tolerance test taken which is a 3hour test. You are underweight for your height. Recommend a Heart Healthy diet which is a moderate fat diet to help you stay healthy and gain weight. You need approximately 1800-2000 calories per day which is spread across 3-5 meals a day with snacks between meals. Moderate fat diet means = use polyunsaturated (omega 3, corn oil, nuts, etc) fats and monounsaturated (olive oil, canola oil, peanut oil, etc) fats, no saturated fats (high fat snack foods, butter, fat spreads) and no trans fats. Eat low fat meats (chicken, fish, loin of pork) or non-meat sources (soy products, nuts), low fat vegetarian combinations (rice & beans, pasta & beans, low fat cheese & pasta), low fat and substitute dairy products (1% milk, low fat/fat free yogurts, low fat soy milk/soy yogurt), use plant oils, non trans-fat margarines, and eat a lot of fruits and vegetables. Eat daily high fiber breads and cereals (oatmeal). Try nutrient dense drinks 1-2 a day, either purchase them, such as Ensure or Boost, or make your own milkshakes - milk, ice cream, and frozen fruit blended together or yogurt smoothies - yogurt, milk, and frozen fruit blended together for additional calories, protein and nutrients to help increase your weight.
14 super-healthy foods that are worth the hype
Small changes make a big impact with these easy ways to cut hundreds of calories a day.
Tips and moves to ease backaches
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.