Nutrition Forum

SSRI and Tryptophan (Whey Protein) Interaction

I posted this on the anxiety forum as well, because I don't know whom to ask.

My question is in regards to Celexa (Citalopram) and using protein shakes while working out.  Every protein shake appears to contain Tryptophan because it's an amino acid that is part of protein.  Everywhere I read, I see the DO NOT combine any SSRI and Tryptophan.  I even asked my pharmacist and she said not to consume any protein shake with your SSRI, for fear of serotonin syndrome.  Could you please shed some light on this and let me know if it's ok to take protein shakes while on Celexa.

My current dose is 40mg daily of Celexa.  

Most of the shakes that are out there contain anywhere from 300-400mg of Tryptophan per serving of 25mg protein.

Thanks,
Ryan
Serotonin syndrome can be fatal due an overload of serotonin in the body’s central nervous system which results in tremors, seizures, increased hypertension (may result in stroke or dead) and temperature of the body. Tryptophan functions as a biochemical precursor for serotonin. It is important you monitor foods high in tryptophan. Tryptophan is an essential amino acid is mainly the constituent of most protein-based foods or dietary proteins. It is plentiful in chocolate, oats, dried dates, milk, yogurt, cottage cheese, red meat, eggs, fish, poultry, sesame, chickpeas, sunflower seeds, spirulina, pumpkin seeds, and peanuts. You can have the foods above but in moderate amounts daily. The protein supplement shake has high amounts of protein and should not be used. If you are using it to gain weight, suggest eating more carbohydrates and moderate fat intakes for additional calories.
14 super-healthy foods that are worth the hype
Small changes make a big impact with these easy ways to cut hundreds of calories a day.
Tips and moves to ease backaches
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.