Vitamin D

Hello.  I was diagnosed as being severely deficient in Vitamin D.  My level was 9 (35 - 100).  I have been taking D3, 5000 iu's for 6 weeks.  My level is now 55, which is very good.  My questions is:  Do you know how much I would now take to maintain these levels?  Obviously, the 5000 iu would be too much to continue taking.  I also take a multivitamin which has 400 iu of vitamin D.  Thank you.
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Would you give me some more information so I am able to answer your question properly. What was the cause of the vitamin D deficiency, what is your age, and are you able to sit in sunlight? Thank you
Helpful - 1
Hi.  They do not know why I have the deficiency.  I also have hypothyroidism.  My calcium and PTH are normal.  I am not in the sun much at all.  I live in Texas, but I am indoors most of the time.  Let me know if you need anything else.  Thanks.  I am a 42 year old female.
Helpful - 0
The multivitamin with Vitamin D 400 IU is sufficient. You should not go over that amount in supplementation. Vitamin D is available through our foods also. Fortified milk, breakfast cereals, egg yolks, fatty fish, fish oils, and the sun. Sit at a window with the sun shining in for about 1/2 hour (few times a week) and that will help you get enough Vitamin D. Good to hear your calcium is normal. Hope that helped you. Thank you for your question.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Nutrition Forum

14 super-healthy foods that are worth the hype
Small changes make a big impact with these easy ways to cut hundreds of calories a day.
Tips and moves to ease backaches
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.