Nutrition Forum

Vitamin issues

I have a question regarding vitamins D and B12.  I’ve read as much as I can online and know all the opinions and info about B12 being water soluble and not toxic etc etc.  I would like answers to the following questions from a health care professional if possible:

1) I am extremely vitamin D deficient and have been prescribed supplements.  How long does it take to start noticing the effects/feeling better on 50,000 IU’s for 20 weeks?  I have trouble breathing and “bone pain” among other issues am hoping this helps tremendously.

2) My doctor said the B12 range goes to 914 and I’m at 959.  I have seen where naturally occurring high B12 levels can indicate liver disease or cancers (if the info I’m reading is correct).  I do have a concern about this.  I was on an immunosuppressant for almost a year.  When I was prescribed the drug, I was told it would increase my chances of getting cancer by 60%.  At that time, they asked me to choose quality of life or quantity of life.  Obviously I chose quality and was on Cyclosporine for about a year.  Is it possible higher levels could mean the presence of cancer or is the level so normal I should not be concerned?  If there is concern, what types of tests (blood work) is done to determine if there is a presence of cancer cells in the body?

Thank you
Your vitamin B12 level is not that high. Excess amounts of Vitamin B12 from food or supplements have not been associated with adverse effects. A Tolerable Upper Intake Level has not been determined due to the low toxicity of the vitamin. Doses do range from 2 to 1000µg. Recommended daily allowance for men and women is 2.4µg.
Vitamin D may decrease from certain medications such as certain anti-seizure, corticosteroids, heparin, certain antibiotics, mineral oil, and antacids; or certain disease states such as celiac disease, Crohn’s disease and Whipple’s disease. Insufficiency may cause symptoms such as bone loss, osteomalacia (in adults), and impaired Calcium absorption occurs due to very low levels of the vitamin. You did not mention your Calcium levels and suggest getting it checked. An intake of Vitamin D 400 IU is sufficient for your age. You should not go over that amount in supplementation. 2000 IU is the tolerable upper intake level for adults; however, you can be at risk for toxicity (weak muscles, weak bones, excessive bleeding, and kidney stones) if you consume supplementation plus large amounts of fortified milk / dairy products and fish. Vitamin D is available through our foods - Fortified milk, breakfast cereals, egg yolks, fatty fish, fish oils, and the sun. Sit at a window with the sun shining in for about 1/2 hour (few times a week) and that will help you get enough Vitamin D. Suggest finding out the cause of the deficiency to treat it. Hoped this helped you.
14 super-healthy foods that are worth the hype
Small changes make a big impact with these easy ways to cut hundreds of calories a day.
Tips and moves to ease backaches
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.