Nutrition Forum

Weight gain after weight loss

I lost almost 100 lbs from May of 2006 to April of 2007.  I did it through running, yoga and bodysculpting classes, journaling my food and some help from an appetite suppressant.  Now, after 2 moves in 2 years, my routine has been seriously derailed and I've gained back half of what I lost.  I feel like a speeding train out of control.  I am still running and trying new exercise classes but have started to binge eat at night again and stopped weighing myself and journaling and taking the suppressant.  Is there no hope?  Am I doomed to gain back the weight and start struggling all over again?  I feel extremely tired after exercising, is it that I'm out of shape or have I damaged something by taking the medications?  I have not been doing yoga, which I had done in the past - could this be the missing link?  Any help or suggestions is appreciated.  I am drowning here...
Suggest you go back to the routine of running, yoga, body sculpting, and food journaling. The weight will slowly go down and you will maintain it better. Suggest improving your eating habits to help lose weight which recommend a Heart Healthy diet which is a moderate fat diet. You need approximately 1500-1800 calories per day which is spread across 3-5 meals a day with snacks between meals. Moderate fat diet means = use polyunsaturated (omega 3, corn oil, nuts, etc) fats and monounsaturated (olive oil, canola oil, peanut oil, etc) fats, no saturated fats (high fat snack foods, butter, fat spreads) and no trans fats. Eat low fat meats (chicken, fish, loin of pork) or non-meat sources (soy products, nuts), low fat vegetarian combinations (rice & beans, pasta & beans, low fat cheese & pasta), low fat and substitute dairy products (1% milk, low fat/fat free yogurts, low fat soy milk/soy yogurt), use plant oils, non trans-fat margarines, and eat a lot of fruits and vegetables. Eat daily high fiber breads and cereals (oatmeal). To help eat less food per meal, eat about 7-10 almonds (good fat), 20 minutes before lunch and dinner so you will feel full faster and not eat as much food.  Portion control is important and here some general tips = ½ cup for all starches and vegetables; one piece of fruit or ½ cup of small fruits; 1 cup for low fat dairy products, and only 3oz of low fat meat or protein substitution a meal (only 6ozs total a day). Do not be discouraged, weight loss can be a slow process but the slower you loss, the higher chance it will stay off. Think of this new way of eating as your new healthy lifestyle and not as a diet. Hope this helps you.
14 super-healthy foods that are worth the hype
Small changes make a big impact with these easy ways to cut hundreds of calories a day.
Tips and moves to ease backaches
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.