A
A
A
Close
Nutrition Community
2.82k Members
140437 tn?1215113342

Why am I not loosing weight?

This is the first time I have posted in this forum I'm from the cyster site. I am so angry this morning I smashed my scales up. I am 32 and have never had a problem dieting....till now! I had surgery in July and put on approx 20 pounds, I now weigh 132 pounds and I am 5 ft 4. I want to loose about 14 pounds. I started eating about 1200 cals a day, 20 mins a day on tread mill and 60/80 sit ups. Initially I was loosing about 2 pounds a week which I thought was painfully slow but when I weighed this morning to my horror I have lost nothing this week - its impossible, makes no sense. Sometimes I eat as little as 800 cals never more than 1200 why am I not loosing weight. I know about the body holding onto fat stores but thats never happened to me before - why now.

Sounds pathetic but I am so depressed I cant tell you please help

Anna x
19 Responses
I just figured out your calories and I really think you are under eating.

BMR- what you burn at rest  1379.6

TDEE- BMR x energy level (yours is 1.55)

1379.6 x 1.55 = 2138.3

now you take out 500- 750 calories a day no more. and then when you work out you burn more calories :)

Now what I do is eat 6 small meals with protein in each one and complex carbs out by 4 th meal and fiberous ones in like broccoli. And fruit out by 2 or 3rd meal. calories tapper down word threw the day b/c more active earlier in the day.

I really hope this helps.

Good luck
140437 tn?1215113342
Thats some wonderfull carefully concidered advice thank you so much for taking the time. I will implement everything you have both said!

Anna X
Have you been monitoring the size of your waste?  Since you are working out you are probably putting on muscle mass which weighs MORE than fat.  Scales alone, are not a good indicator of weight loss.
Good point spade, yes measure belly, stomach, calves, quads, and biceps. Do this on the same day every week as well as weight yourself. You will loose but not always pounds. Last week I lost1/2 inch in belly and 1/4 inch in waist ans gained a pound. I would rather have the inches gone than the pounds. :):):):)
149087 tn?1258457420
You also have to remember that our bodies carry around water weight and this amount changes all the time. Im not sure if maybe you are close to your cycle, but when I am getting close to mine, I tend to retain more water weight than I normally would any other time of the month.
Everyone's given some good advice. I was also thinking you're probably under-eating. Your body starts to store fat when it feels it's not getting enough. My doctor once told me that I shouldn't eat any less than 1000 calories. I am also 5'4" and I was told to stay between 1000-1200 calories to lose weight. I just wanted to add that since you don't have a lot of weight to lose, it's going to take longer. Plus, 1-2 lbs lost a week is very healthy...
Good luck!!!
Have an Answer?
Top Healthy Living Answerers
Arlington, VA
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
14 super-healthy foods that are worth the hype
Small changes make a big impact with these easy ways to cut hundreds of calories a day.
Forget the fountain of youth – try flossing instead! Here are 11 surprising ways to live longer.
From STD tests to mammograms, find out which screening tests you need - and when to get them.
Tips and moves to ease backaches
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.