Nutrition Forum

diet/exercise

I am a 43-year-old female, 5'7, 200 pounds, and need to lose 50 pounds.  I have been working out for three months three to four times a week.  Two days, 1 hour of cardio.  2 days, upper body one day then lower body the other with 40 mins of cardio on those days as well.  I had been sedentary pretty much before this.   I have limited calorie intake to 1200 -1500 calories per day.  I drink 8-12 glasses of water each day.  I am eating from all food groups and have not lost anything but maybe a pound or two.  My cardio workouts are at approx. 75% of max heart rate at this point.  I don't sweat, and people at my gym say I'm not pushing myself enough.  I feel I am.  It was suggested that I see a nutritionist, but there isn't one available where I live and I'm not sure what to look for in a nutritionist.  I don't want a generic plan.  I want one just for me.  I am so discouraged because I truly thought the change in lifestyle would certainly produce some weight loss results rather quickly going from nothing to actually doing something.  What can I do?  If there is any inches lost, it is very minimal.  I don't want to give up, but I'm not reaping the harvest of all the work I'm doing.  Am I doing something wrong?  Is a nutritionist my answer?  Am I not pushing myself enough?  
First of all congratulate yourself for starting to get yourself healthy by exercising!! That is great! You have to keep in mind that when we exercise, lean muscle mass is being built (even in women but not as big as in men) and it weights more then fat. Do not use a scale; use a measuring tape to see if the exercising is making a difference. Trimming ½ inch, or 1 inch is great! Your clothes will also be a tell tale sign as you become trimmer. You did not state what type of food you were eating, just the amount of calories 1200-1500 calories per day. What is important is what type of foods you eat that make-up that calorie intake. Eating healthy is eating a lot of fruits and vegetables. Eating daily high fiber breads and cereals (oatmeal), ¼ cup or less of nuts (walnuts, peanuts, cashew), low fat meats (chicken, fish, loin of pork) or non meat sources (soy products), low fat vegetarian combinations (rice & beans, pasta & beans, low fat cheese & pasta), and fat free or low fat dairy products (skim milk, 1% milk, low fat cheese, low fat yogurts, low fat soy milk/yogurt). You are consuming adequate quantities of fluids. If you are still concerned about not losing weight or trimming inches off, see your MD and get blood-work done including your thyroid, which regulates your metabolism. Hope this helped.
14 super-healthy foods that are worth the hype
Small changes make a big impact with these easy ways to cut hundreds of calories a day.
Tips and moves to ease backaches
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.