Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Community

Detox time and replacment meds

I have a patient who has been taking zanax for two years, but not everyday.  That is until this last year when his wife left.  PT has a history of OCD (not ticks - but uncontrolable thought patterns and spirals).  I wish to get him off of Zanax and onto something like Wellbutrin or Klonopin as needed, which, isn't al the time.  He has been prone to anxiety attacks that debilitate him from his job since 1981, but was only recently diagnised with OCD in 1990.  This PT needs SOMETHING APO for these attacks.  Any advice?

How long can I expect the detox to take and what can I do in the home, short of a self-induced detox coma state?
COMMUNITY LEADER
First let me say that I am not a doctor so I'm just giving an opinion here.  I am a long-time OCD/anxiety sufferer so I consider myself an expert at HAVING OCD/anxiety.  I take 1 mg of Klonopin at night to sleep and I take 300 mg of Wellbutrin XL in the morning.  

So, my thought is that if you are switching from one benzo to another there may not be withdrawal symptoms at all as long as the dosages are similar.  You would have to calculate how much klonopin is equal to how much Xanax.  

What I'm a bit confused about is that for me the klonopin was used as  needed for acute anxiety while the wellbutrin was building up in my system.  After 4 to 6 weeks I no longer needed the klonopin during the day because the Wellbutrin is keeping my OCD/anxiety in check.  This is not to say that I don't have the occasional panic attack but I use CBT to stop them from continuing on.  

It seems to me that your patient could benefit from a long-term SSRI or SNRI with klonopin as needed versus an either/or situation as you mentioned above.  

If the patient has not learned cognitive behavioral therapy techniques, then that is a must as well.  There are many psychologists out there that specialize in CBT.  

Hopefully this has helped you a bit.