Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Community

How can I be diagnosed with Compulsive Scalp Picking?

Okay so I'm 15 years old, and I have been picking at my scalp for about 3-4 years now. I have picked at my skin till it bled, I have scabs on my scalp that I pick at so they never heal properly. I started picking at my scalp when I first saw that I had lice (I had lice quite a bit when I was younger) , so I would run my fingers through my hair over and over, but now, I don't have lice anymore but I still pick at my scalp thinking that there's something there. It has gotten to the point were I can't go 45 minutes without picking at my scalp. What should I do?
COMMUNITY LEADER
Hi there....you should talk to your parents about setting you up an appointment with a psychologist.  Do you find that you pick at your scalp during times of stress?  Also do you not even realize you are doing it initially?  For now, you can try to wear socks on your hands at home or sit on them in public this way you can't get to your scalp.