Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Community
3.84k Members
20050727 tn?1489133390

How do you get "diagnosed" for having anxiety/OCD?

I already know that I have anxiety OCD and (more-likely than not), trichotillomania. I'm just not sure as to what step I should take next.
I'm pretty sure that you're supposed to go to a psychiatrist for this sort of thing, but how does that even work? Can somebody that's either been through this process or is at least well informed on it pleeeaaase tell me what I should do?
1 Responses
1699033 tn?1514113133
Hi there....Ideally you should see a  psychologist first because they do talk therapy, teach CBT (Cognitive behavioral therapy).  Once you have a diagnosis, you and your therapist can discuss strategies for getting better.  If this includes medication, then they can refer you to a psychiatrist for that or perhaps your primary care doc can take over the medication part.  
Have an Answer?
Top Personality Disorder Answerers
1699033 tn?1514113133
Somewhere in, MD
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
For people with Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD), the COVID-19 pandemic can be particularly challenging.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Here’s how your baby’s growing in your body each week.
These common ADD/ADHD myths could already be hurting your child
This article will tell you more about strength training at home, giving you some options that require little to no equipment.
In You Can Prevent a Stroke, Dr. Joshua Yamamoto and Dr. Kristin Thomas help us understand what we can do to prevent a stroke.