Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Community

Ocd in 8 year old

I apologize in advance as this post may be a bit long but I want to make sure I get it all out there.
For the past month my 8 year old daughter has been coming to me with these confessions and intrusive thoughts. Things from images of a man and woman having the s-word to just ordinary things that happened during her day at school. From the moment I pick her up from school the confessions begin. She has to get every single detail out and if I interupt her or stop her for any reason she has a complete melt down crying, screaming, anger so I just let her tell me until she's done. As I said before some of the stuff is just normal child things like I borrowed my friends pencil and I asked to go to the bathroom 3 times today. Most of the time she just wants reassurance to make sure everything is ok and that she didn't do anything wrong but then there are times where she will tell me things like that traffic cone looks like a penis or I sometimes have thoughts of a man and a woman having the s-word. Then there are times where she says "I don't know if this is the truth or I'm lying I feel like I'm lying I'm so confused" I have taken her to the children's hospital and she has been diagnosed with OCD however what confuses me is that "I feel like I'm lying" part. I have been doing quite a bit of research on OCD and nothing regarding that has come up. The doctors have also suggested medication for her but I'm still a bit iffy however the wait list for cbt is quite long and I don't want the child to suffer any more than she needs. If someone can please shed some light here and help me out that would be amazing!!
COMMUNITY LEADER
When you have OCD you can convince yourself of anything and it just sticks in your mind to the point where you don' know what reality is anymore.  

I'm glad you got her treatment.  My sister started with OCD at age 7 so your daughter's age does not surprise me.  I honestly don't know about medication and children your daughter's age.  I'm sure there is some research out there.  CBT is such a great tool and she will have to learn it eventually and you will also because part of CBT is not seeking reassurance and so you may have to stop giving it to her but then again she is so young that perhaps the "usual" rules will not apply here.  

I wish I could help you with the medication part.  It seems so young to be put on meds but if she had ADHD she would be put on meds right so there really isn't a difference I guess.  It is awful to have OCD as a teenager/adult so I can't imagine what she is going through.  She probably doesn't have a clue why.  

Anyway I do want to reassure you that people with OCD go on to live very normal lives.  For instance I went to college, got married, had kids, have a career all with managing my OCD.  So as a mom, don't think it will hold your daughter back because it won't if it is managed well.  
Hey there.

My OCD started when I was 8 as well. I would have intrusive thoughts that I would obsess over to the point where I couldn't eat.  One in particular bothered me for months; I became afraid that I didn't really love my mom (who I was and am extremely close to).  I was absolutely sickened over it and I felt the need to "confess" it to her all the time. I had several other obsessions too at various points of my childhood.

My poor mom had no idea what was going on with me.  She took me to the doctor for the not eating, but she chalked the obsessive thoughts up to "growing pains"... she just had never experienced anything like it so she didn't know what to do.

I wanted to reply to your post because I think you are absolutely doing the right thing by seeking treatment for your daughter.  I wish that my mom had.  Yes she is young to be on medication but SSRI's aren't addictive and medication doesn't have to be forever... Some people are treated and after they learn how to cope by going to therapy they can come off the medication.

Your daughter is lucky to have you in her corner and you are doing the right thing.
Thank you so much eflower and  jgf25. I really appreciate your response and kind words. We have started her on a low dose of Celexa 5mg daily. I can honestly say that within 3 days of treatment she was doing 50% better. Now about 3 weeks in she is almost back to her normal self with only a few intrusive thoughts that she is able to just brush off. I am so glad that my husband and I decided to start her on the medication because I could not see her poor body and mind suffer like that. I am so glad that you guys took the time to respond and help me with this decision. We are currently still on the waiting list for cbt and as soon as she has completed her program we will begin to wean her off the medication. We did begin her course of medication with Prozac which caused her terrible side effects we then switched to Zoloft which also did the same. After about a week and almost giving up I did as much research as I could and found celexa. I really hope that my post can help another mother or family out there that is struggling with the same issue. Thanks again guys for all your help.
COMMUNITY LEADER
Definitely talk to the doctor about weaning off later because sometimes people wean off just to find that they are back where they began.  So perhaps when you are weaning off, you can keep a journal and see if she is reverting back to intrusive thoughts.  CBT is great but it doesn't always take care of the entire problem and you have to be really, really good at it in my opinion to rely solely on it.  I have done it but I was definitely not OCD free.  Glad she is improving though :)  
My daughter is going through basically what yours is. She is 10. The doctor put her on prozac 4 weeks ago and I think she is suffering more than when she wasn't taking anything.
What were your daughters side effects in prozac?
She had even more anxiety with worse panic attacks. He had some weird body twitches and she was very very angry. I was doing a lot of research on medication and also speaking to a pharmacist. Apparently doctors prescribe Prozac and Zoloft first because they are older medications with more studies done on them. However we know that older is not always better. Talk to your doctor and see if he can maybe switch your daughter to the celexa. My daughter is on 5mg of it and she is doing a heck of a lot better.  I really hope things work out for your daughter. Keep me posted