Odd new habits/obsessions

I'm 24 years old and have been struggling with a few disorders in the last 3 or 4 years. I'm in the navy and was stationed to a ship in Guam when all of this came about. In 2006 I was working in the boiler room when one of the boilers exploded, filling the entire space with superheated steam. Myself, along with about 5 others managed to narrowly avoid being killed by evacuating via and escape trunk. However, there were 6 others that weren't so lucky and ended up being medivaced off the island to Texas. Of them, 2 died, one later that week and one early in 2007. Since all of this I have been diagnosed and treated for PTSD and severe anxiety and depression. The PTSD has slowly gotten better, but recently I was diagnosed with adult ADHD for inattentiveness. I have been prescribed Aderrall 30mg XR and have been taking it for the last 3 or 4 months. Since starting this medication, I have noticed an intensly satisfying urge to pick apart my shirts. I will start picking at the seam where the sleeve comes together in the armpit, and once the sleeve is nearly separated from the rest of the shirt, I will start on the collar seam. I will sit at the computer or just watching tv and pick at the seam threads until the sleeves and collar just fall off. So far this month I have ruined about 6 shirts. Since I was younger I have always had an obsession with picking at zits and blackheads, but not to the point of causing sores. I still do this today along with the shirt disassembling and was wondering if this new urge has been intensified by the Aderrall? If so, what can I do to tame the obsession without stopping the Aderrall, as it does help greatly keeping my work and priorities straight?

This discussion is related to repetitive thoughts and odd habits.
Read more
Follow
Upvote - 0