Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Community

Strange body odor follwing me

This gonna be a bit long, but I'm really serious and everyday is like hell so I'd appreciate if you read this and help me.

I thought it was GI problem or skin problem first time, but all the test results were healthy so every dr. sent me to psychiatrists.

I still think it's physical or neurological problem but people treat me like I'm mental so I write here. (No offense)

I've always had IBS all my life, and sometimes had body odor, but both were normal range and had nothing to do with each other. I mean when my IBS had really flared up there was no BO. and I'm hygienic person, I shower everyday for 1 hrs.

It started when I stayed in humid hot country. I'm weak to spicy foods or hot weather or stress, so I guess the place was the trigger--I developed severe underarm odor and become really gassy.

I'm usually a bit gassy and it's been odorless. But after staying that country(hot weather, severe stress, terrible diet) my body odor and gas(sorry, yuck) became really offensive.

So when I came back home I tried to eat healthy, lots of vegetables, limited proteins, no processed foods, etc...

Strange thing happens from here.
My skin odor disappeared and gas became nearly odorless, but strange smells started to follow me.

First I thought it was environment problem because it was not human BO. It was raw sewage smell or strange ammonia odor(not women's odor, pure ammonia smell), sometimes dirty clothe smell sometimes just undescribable something.

but time passes by I realized it was me. Because it followed me and when I bent down I could smell it coming from my body.

Then I thought I had rectal problem so intestinal gas leaking, but it was not.
One day I felt something more subtle than air coming out from my groin area and this air-like something was carrying the smell of my urine INSIDE my bladder. I didn't leak any urine, and my underwear, clothe were clean and my groin area skin didn't smell,
Something very subtle, air-kind something was seeping out from my body emitting odor of my inside.

Now you think I'm mental. don't you?
Sometimes I think I'm crazy too. and I WISH I were crazy.

And this smells change up to places, foods, condition, hormonal change, mood, or even weather.
I really can't pinpoint which thing trigger which smell. I just always have BO that follows me like radiation. Strange thing is my skin rarely have any BO now. (or my gas)
It's.... more like aura around me.
So people doesn't notice it was me first time, but slowly they start to notice it's me.

More bizzar thing is, this smell can travel to hundred meters in sec.
I MEAN IT.
I saw all the people walking hundred meters ahead me suddenly stare back at me, then start to look around as if they thought 'normal looking person like me' cannot emit this kind of odor spreading so vast area.

Plus, my family or friends or docs can't detect this smell. (though nurses can smell it I don't know why)
Many strangers can smell it (one day whole compartment of subway glared at me because of my smell. I remember the angry disgusted glares of people. I don't take subway after that.)
Some people mention it 'what the hell is that smell'... 'who **ted'... 'that's her'...
But my friends can't smell it. They are not lying. They usually point out my every defects, so when they say they don't smell, it's true.

Further strange thing is, the smell changes up to places.
Sometimes it start to emit in basement or bathroom, sometime in alleys, sometimes at my home, it just changes and I don't know why.

Just one more plus, some odors not emitted from me(like garbage smell or other persons smell) FOLLOWS ME.
One day there was an alcoholic in waiting room and I stayed there about one hour. After that day, for 2 days I emitted alcoholic stench from my body. I wasn't even sitting next to him but it was like my body aura absorbed the stench!

Think it was demanding reading, sorry.
But I had to vent all the strange symptoms that's killing me everyday.
How can this kind of symptom exist?

Severe BO? I can live with that. But smell of my inside gut or bladder escapes me?!! and it spreads to vast area in seconds?! and whatever I eat however I shower the smell doesn't go away?! and the BO is not normal human stench?

Sometimes the smell is so not human, more like sulphur substance in Lab, I can blame it to sewage problem.

Now I'm taking xanax to calm me down, and it helps me about sulfhuric odor, but when I take xanax too much it becomes rotten garbage odor.

Already too long to read, I'll add some more in replies.

Is anyone here have this problem?
What the hell is this? How can physically this kind of thing exist?

PLZ, somebody, help me.
My psychiatrist gave up on me and just throw me some xanax sometimes risperdal but they don't work much.

Oh, and every physical dr (GI, Hormonal, Traditional docs) gave up on me too.
Hello there!

I think it is very telling that the people who are around you (and people who care about you and would be honest with you) do NOT smell anything.  You THINK strangers around you are smelling you, but that just may be a psychological reaction, because YOU think you smell, so you think they smell it too, and you feel self conscious.

What do you mean nurses can smell it?  How many other people, besides you, and not including strangers, have verified that they smell something?  How do they describe it?

While there is no doubt that certain medical conditions and diseases cause different odors, you've seemingly had a lot of very thorough work ups from many different specialists, and again, it is just too significant to ignore that really, YOU are the only one who smells this.

I'm sure you are frustrated and I'm sure you genuinely believe this is going on (and it might be, obviously I can't say either way), but my own personal assessment is that perhaps this IS indeed psychological in nature.  It could be olfactory hallucinations, it could be an exaggerated perception of a very subtle normal body odor.  It sounds like perhaps when you stayed in the "hot" country, something happened there that changed you.  Maybe due to the circumstances, when you WERE having BO and other issues, you became so overly sensitive to it and upset by it, that you were sort of left traumatized?

I'm not saying that you're crazy, and I feel for you, but with all the medical assessments you've had, and the fact that no one close to you smells it, really points more toward something pyschological in nature.  Have you tried therapy?  How about any other meds besides Xanax?

I wish I had something better to tell you, but that's my hunch.  I think it wouldn't hurt for you to dive into mental health treatment, give it a try.  In the very least, if the smell is real and undiagnosed, you need support to get you through this. I'm sure it is affecting every aspect of your life.

Very best of luck to you!
I really appreciate your thoughtful reply.

Yes I have to sort it out whether this is psychological or somehow physical problem.

But things happening around me is really confusing, I'm not sure which is real anymore.

For example, one day I went to theater with my close friend, she is brutally honest so if I smelled she would have been angry or told me directly. but she looked very comfortable with me and when I asked if I stunk, she said 'not a bit'.
But strange thing is, a guy sat next to me (other side was my friend) covered his nose with his hand during whole movie. For two hours movie, who in the world would plug his nose unless there was some smell around?  

Other day also in a theater, a woman sat next to me leaned to opposite direction so desperately, she nearly became one with the theater wall avoiding me.

and one day, I was waiting subway train, then a middle aged man came to me and said bluntly 'what a young woman smell like this urine smell?'
I was so ashamed and walked away from the man,
and 30 minutes later, I met one of my friend, asked whether I smell like urine. She said 'You are crazy.'

It's becoming long post but I'll just stick one more experience.
While I was working as a clerk in a store, a couple came in store, then suddenly the girl covered her nose saying 'what is this smell' and ran out, while the boyfriend couldn't understand her and bought things and got out.

There are other tones of contradict experiences. Docs saying 'you don't smell' but nurses rolling up the window and saying 'what the hell is this smell' and patients in the waiting room glaring at me with disgust.

This kind of things going on and on everyday and I'm completely lost.

I went to couple of psychologist and had medications. Lexapro(ssri's) made the smell worse, xanax made me calm and smell less, risperdal made symptoms a bit better but didn't work much, and counselling for 6 mounths didn't fix anything. (Oh, all the psychologists couldn't smell anything either.)

I'm still in this mess, not sure whether I really stink or imagining or am I dreaming or already dead. (I tried near suicide attempt but woke up without any damage.)

Anyway thank you for reading this long post and analyzing this with concern, your concerned reply gave me a bit strength.

I wish all these were hallucinations. I do.
One suggestion is chlorophyll (and mint) tablets.  They are inexpensive and tasty (works for dog b.o. too).  Also I have mentioned in a post around 2010 progesterone cream.  I too had a terrible B.O. mostly onion scented, some friends couldn't smell, but they had allergy problems and were always "stuffY".  Maybe that's why your friends couldn't smell it.
OCD can definitely make you see, hear, and feel things that aren't there.  I'm wondering how many of these occurences are perceived and actually truly happened.  The reason I say that is because I 'feel' or 'perceive' things happening that aren't real a lot.  The reason I know they aren't real is because my boyfriend and family members who witness things as well tell me it didn't happen.  For instance, yesterday, I truly thought a guy in the car next to me spit on my car.  Why would he do that?  I don't know and it didn't really happen but my brain said it did.  I think you can trust your friends who tell you that you don't smell and continue to experiment with medications until you find one that helps.
I can only imagine how frustrating and upsetting this would be.  TreTre's reply above is interesting.  It sheds some light on the fact that similar occurences have happened to her (not smell related), and her loved ones validated for her that the things didn't happen.  That's reassuring.

You know what...I think maybe a good "test" for you to do will be, next time you are with your friends or family, and think someone is acting a certain way towards you (or holding their nose, or trying to put distance between you and them), ask your loved one what they see.  You know your loved ones will be honest with you.

I still think the fact that none of your freinds and family can smell it is very  telling to me.  It's just hard to ignore that.  You know they would tell you.  It really sounds like more of an exacerbated self conscious issue based on your past experiences.  I suggest continuing to work with both your mental health team, and your doctors.

I sincerely hope you find some answers and some peace soon.
I know OCD can make me delusional to some point, but I don't THINK or FEEL things. I SEE and HEAR and SMELL actually.

Before this, I usually didn't care about what people talk about me. I kinda had thick face before this symptom.
Of course after this symptom broke out, i started to suspect whether people are talking about me.

What I'm experiencing is, people say to my face 'you smell like urine' or stare at me saying 'what the hell is that smell..' or actually glare at my eyes straight(too straight i can't even turn my eyes away) with scowling face. I can't ignore these reactions. It's not what i think or feeling, I see and hear them.

if these are delusions, I'm not OCD but schizophrenia.

But i appreciate your reply, it's natural that you reasoned my problem as delusion, my symptom looks really like some hallucinations.

I hope your ocd get better too and be healthy, thx tretre.

URINE,GARBAGE,POO,(ANOTHER FOUL SMELL WHICH I DONT KNOW THE NAME BUT ITS LIKE DIRTY TOILET) GUTTER SMELL KEEPS FOLLOWING ME EVERY WHERE, THE PROBLEM IS, IT COMES AND GO, SO THERE AINT NO OPPORTUNITY FOR THE DOC TO ACTUALLY PERCIEVE THE SMELL BUT PEOPLE HAVE ACTUALLY DIRECTLY AND INDIRECTLY TOLD ME I SMELL LIKE THE ABOVE BUT THE DOC AND ALL SEEMS TO THINK ITS A MENTAL ILLNESS (SCHIZOPHRENIA), ANY ADVISE
You and TreTre have some point. Yes, close people can't smell and they are not lying.
So based on that, I tried to ignore people's reaction, believing everything is just my obsession.

But when you hear someone honest like 12 years old boy suddenly sniff around me and become nauseate saying 'Yuck, what is this smell, yuck.'
You CAN'T ignore that. ( I was the only one around there and no trash can nor any dirty building)

and one day, i was at cafeteria with my friend, suddenly i smelt some rotten baby poo smell around me, then a woman at the close table said 'who **ited? what is this smell?' but my friend said 'what smell are you talking about?'

It's like... 'people I love or close' and 'people i don't like or strangers' live in the SEPERATED DIMENSION. Not kidding.

Am i becoming schizophrenia?

But you're right I have to work on with people who try to help me.
I still talk with my friends about my problem sometimes (they're becoming annoyed though) and right now i'm short of money to get counselling but when I get money maybe I'll restart it again.

Thank you guys, just venting on this board and getting responses itself relieve me much.

Another day to go ahead, . Thx.