Aa
A
A
A
Close
Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Community
3.78k Members

resist an urge to repeat or not ?

I have this obsession about repeating "words" in my head. Its like when I hear any sound like a car coming, I get the urge to say car in my head. It is generalized - if I see a red car, I get urge to say red. It could be anything - I just have to wait for some thoughts to enter my mind and I am sort of stuck to that. Recently, I read one kid's obsession about repeating words backwards (here is the link for somebody interested to read it - http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...toryId=4648567), and I am stuck to that thought worrying if I will also get that urge to do that.

Now, most of the times, I don't do it. But, when I remember those "urge" thoughts I get anxiety and my confidence saps in.

I had been taking sertraline 100 mg (zoloft) since four years. Recently, I noticed that I have tinnitus. After reading about it all over the net, I came to know the zoloft could be contributing to tinnitus. Since then, I have cut zoloft to 25 mg and also taking St. John's wort (0.3 standardized, 300 mg two times a day). Maybe cutting zoloft could be the reason why I am again
getting those urges and anxiety pangs.

Lately, I have been reading too many books on OCD (courtesy of my local library which seems to have all the books). What I understand that the more I try to stop a thought (and urge ?), the more it hangs in your mind. So, what should I be doing - if I get the thought to repeat, should I repeat it so that urge / thought loses it power OR I resist the urge as I do always. Resisting the urge did not help me get rid of those repetitive thoughts all my life.

Anybody here who might have some suggestions on what I should do - resist or cave in ? thanks.
1 Responses
1030618 tn?1260936978
It all depends what works for you. Does the fact you repeat the words in your head drive you insane or make u feel better? It all depends on what bothers your life more the repeating or the anxiety.

Good luck :)
Have an Answer?
Top Personality Disorder Answerers
1699033 tn?1514116733
Somewhere in, MD
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Here’s how your baby’s growing in your body each week.
These common ADD/ADHD myths could already be hurting your child
This article will tell you more about strength training at home, giving you some options that require little to no equipment.
In You Can Prevent a Stroke, Dr. Joshua Yamamoto and Dr. Kristin Thomas help us understand what we can do to prevent a stroke.
Smoking substitute may not provide such a healthy swap, after all.