Compulsive Scalp Picking

I am 28 years old and have picked scabs on my scalp since I was about 12 years old.  Normally I find little imperfections, possibly dandruff or dry scalp, and I pick at it until it becomes a scab.  Once a scab develops, I find myself uncontrollably picking at it, so it usually never heals or takes an extremely long time or another scab to develop to stop.  Right now, I have a total of six scabs that I have created on my scalp.  When I am picking I can't necessarily say that it relieves stress like I have found on some of the other web sites, but more of an obsession that I can't control.  I have been treated for depression and PTSD, but have never mentioned my compulsive picking.  I have been prescribed both Zoloft and Prozac with Klonopin for the symptoms of anxiety and depression, but I still seem to pick at me head.  The kicker is that I also do this in my sleep.  I will literally wake up with blood under my nails.  What treatment options are there other than medication?  Should I tell my primary care physician or should I talk to a psychiatrist?  What are some of the causes of this, could it be OCD?  I don't really have any sort of rituals like you see or read about or extreme fears, but I can not seem to stop picking at my scalp, and although I am not pulling at my hair, I am noticing hair loss.  Any feedback would be appreciated.
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I've been reading through these comments & wanting to respond for a few hours, but couldn't stop picking long enough to type a sentence.  I particularly radiated toward your comment "scratching our heads...cope with life."  That's really what this OCD is - a coping mechanism.  So much of what is written here is familiar to me -- what a startling wake up call!  I didn't realize how much of my behavior is connected to this.  I have twice stopped picking...1st time for 3 years, 2nd time for 5 years, but it never occurred to me that there were stressors that caused it.  Duh - LIGHTBULB.  Then, you feel overwhelmed & try to soothe yourself in lieu of managing the stressor.  I feel really dense for not seeing the pattern through 3 decades of picking.  Currently, I've quit my job, am starting a business, have 1 parent that needs full time care & the other giving care while going blind (oh & he lost their life savings @ the casino).  There's the anxiety - and as I type, I realize I've not really put it out there to friends/family so I've removed the external support.  Maybe there's a shame element as well - not being able to pull it together seems embarrassing.  I feel fortified with all that has been shared & am ready to release this behavior again [hopefully 3x the charm].  For those asking for solutions, here are some things that have worked for me before:  1) remove the zone-outs.  The cable got canceled, tv unplugged & put in guest room, replaced with audio books 2) interrupt the sensation. I put a tiny clip around the area so my fingers hit plastic/metal instead of scab.  The initial contact alerts me to the desire to pick instead of digging for 10 minutes before I realize I'm doing it. And not touching the scabby place removes that sensory gratification which over time lessens the desire 3) graduated positive reinforcement.  I decide on a reward program to get me motivated - replaces the negative guilt feelings & something to look forward to @ 24 hrs/72 hrs/ 1 week/ 2 week/ 3 week/30 days.  Once I get to the month point, the momentum is real & the new habits are getting grounded. 4) negative reinforcement. I remove something & only get it back when I hit a big goal.  Gave my tax return to friend & couldn't get it back until I reached 90 days.  I used to volunteer, but wouldn't return until I reached 6 months. At 1 year, I had friends over for a dinner to celebrate "reaching a personal goal". They each brought a gift.. 1st time it was kooky socks/2nd time stock the tool box.  It helps to have reminders around that you can do it.  5) Exercise & fresh air.  I'm going to start again tomorrow (as in RIGHT NOW).  Should be interesting now that I have all of you to be accountable to.  
Helpful - 1
I am going to go put plastic clips in my hair so that I notice when I am doing it.  It feels so good to know that I am not the only one who has this nasty habit.  I sure do appreciate everyone's open, honest communication.  I believe just being honest and talking about things regardless of how uncomfortable they are, is the key to living a more authentic and happy life!!!  Thanks again.
You will LOVE this! Use extra virgin coconut oil on your scalp or any dry problem area. You can find it in the cooking/baking isle in most stores and it's not expensive... You'll find it a little greasy, but It works my sweets... I apply it 2 times a week...  I use a shower cap and lay a towel over my pillow... Its so nice to not have itchy dry skin and will make your hair super soft. Best wishes your worth it! :)
Helpful - 1
I cant tell you I'm at my wits end with this. For me, this is severely debilitating as I'm mostly bald so it's extremely noticeable on my head. It's effected my life so bad because I'm to embarrassed to apply for jobs in customer service sectors where you deal with the public. Problem is, that is my best skill so it's killing me that I'm so insecure about this. I can also tell you, for me this is not stress related. While I do suffer from depression and anxiety, this 100% is not the cause.

For me, I guess more of an OCD thing. What happens is I run my had over my head, and once I feel a dry patch or bump that's not smooth like the rest of my scalp, I try to pick it off thinking that part of my scalp with now be smooth like the rest of my head. Then I go through the same cycles as you all do. The problem I have is, sometimes these patches of dry skin tend do go away after a few cycles of picking. I've gone months were my scalp was totally clear. For example, when I go to a hot place, the sun seems to totally clear my skin and I'll be good for a while. So for me this is some kind of dermatology issue combined with OCD to get rid of any non smooth parts of my scalp. I should also note that it's not itchy or sore for me. Just a bad patch of skin I can feel that I must get rid of.

I'm going to try this coconut oil because as I've said, I'm at my wits end with this, and it's causing me serious depression and anxiety, not the other way around like I've reading. (anxiety and depression causing people to pick)
Lately I have been using pure peppermint from the health food store. I put some on my fingertips and rub into my scalp after washing and conditioning. It relieves the itching, tingles and soothes. I, too, am a nervous Nelly and OD.
Helpful - 1
Oh my lord. Y'all, I feel like I've come home. Lol. I was just sitting here staring off into space picking away. And the thought came to me...hey, google it and see if you're the only scalp picker out there. And lo and behold here popped this thread. I read a good 30 comments or so and am in shock. We are all the same! I too suffer from panic disorder, major depressive disorder and agoraphobia. I have picked my head for as long as I can remember. I am now 29. My mother always used to freak out and yell at me to stop, but I never could. It isn't something I consciously do, my hand just goes to my head without thinking about it. I get the same satisfaction some of you were talking about when picking off the scabs. I try to peel them as big as possible, and will even look at them to see how big they are at times. The bigger the better I feel. If I make one bleed it takes about a whole day before it will dry up to be picked again, so in the meantime, I move to a different spot. There are times I will search my head with my fingers and be so bummed because I don't feel a spot where I can pick, so I dig my nail into my scalp to peel something up. Man, I have never actually talked about this, and as I am writing I just feel like such a weirdo! At least I have solace in knowing there are SO many of you who are the same as me. So here's to us pickers lol, Cheers!
Helpful - 1
Guess us weirdos are in good company! Everybody has something, right Jules?
COMMUNITY LEADER
Hi there.  This is a very old thread.  Could you start a new one with the problems you are having?  Thank you.  JGF
Helpful - 1
Oh man! So I am 23 and I have been picking my scalp for as long as I can remember. I have really bad dandruff so when it gets flaky it only makes it easier for me to pick and then they end up becoming inflamed and usually ends up bleeding. Sometimes I cannot help it, and I usually do it when I'm bored or stressed or anxious. I also suffer from anxiety attacks and on a current medication for it. It's embarrassing and effects my life sometimes because I end up with flakes on my head and I have long dark hair so you can imagine how that looks ;( any ideas or suggestions ? Thanks!
Helpful - 0
i have had this problem for a year. I thought I had scalp problelms.  I realize that I have created it my self. I can't stop.I hate it. My scalp hurts
so bad. I cant stand if someone touches my head. I dont know what to do. it sounds like a freak telling someone that you can't stop picking. But, I think after I pick I do feel better.
Helpful - 0
Your description sounds exactly like my scalp picking problem. I am 26 years old but I only started this 3 years ago. To be honest, I can't recall how this all started. it's as if I'm trying to clean/smoothen my scalp from dandruff/scabs with my nails..but it just creates more. I'm embarrased to go to the salon because of the scattered bald patches and newly formed scabs. How do I explain if asked what the scabs are from???

But i understand the frustration and embarassment of it all. My family can't stand it because they think it looks disgusting, which adds to the guilt of the behavior. They don't understand and say "Just stop" but that's easier said than done.  I was diagnosed 4 years ago with severe depression, Bipolar II and PTSD, although I've been suffering from the 3 with symptoms since I was 16 but did not get help until later.

When I told my doctor about my compulsive scalp picking, first she said to "cut my nails" but that does not help. Or wear mittens and a beanie =).....but that does not solve the underlying cause of the behavior itself. It's under "trictillomania" which is compulsive hair pulling even though I don't directly sit there and pull my hair out. The deep picking/bleeding/scab cycle eventually results in a small bald spot.
Helpful - 0
I've had a scalp picking disorder for as long as I can remember. I can literally scratch my head for hours. It almost seems like I go into a soothing trance-like state. I don't even notice the pain until well after I'm done, or the next time that I shower and the water hurts the wounded areas. For me it feels comforting, but I too feel shamed with the yuckiness of this habit. I am aware of the fact that it is a disgusting activity but it seems to be like an itch that I can not possibly help but itch (pardon the pun). I am also obsessed with popping anything that slightly resembles a zit, and find enormous levels of satisfaction when I pop them. I assume these habits are related. It is comforting to know that I am not alone.
Helpful - 0
I too have this problem. I have been doing it off and on for over 10 years. I typically do it for a six month period before I force myself to stop, then maybe a few years later I'll find a small bump on my scalp and start the process all over again until I wake up in the morning with blood under my nails or an infection sets in and there is pus. My husband thinks it's disgusting and it is. I have even gone as far as saving all the white scabs. For a period  of time I thought if I cut my finger nails all the way down I wouldn't be able to pick and therefore stop the habit, but I ended up using a metal nail file to get under a scab and then would pull the rest off with my fingers.

I always found it a relieving and satisfying point in my day when I get to finally sit down alone and pick. I have blamed the condition on the bad eczema that plagues the rest of my body but if the scabs did exist because of the eczema it still didn't excuse the compulsive picking. I suggest that you speak with your primary care physician about prescription shampoos or steroids to help speed the healing of your scalp, cut your finger nails, think how bad you would feel if you ended up with permanent bald spots and possibly work with a counselor or psychologist to get to what is really behind all of this.
Helpful - 0
I pick my scalp like all the time!!! i dont know why but it just makes me feel good and its fun i guessss, but its a bad habbit cause now i bet without any hair my scalp looks really gross. i do it wen i get nervous i just pick my scalp and pick a big chunk of dandruff or scapl wutever it is and pull it out u oick my boy friends scalp toooo! and sometimes my moms or someone that lets me wen i have no more good scabs to pick off of my scalp
Helpful - 0
im 16 years old, and i have been picking at my scalp sience i was about 6 or 7. it relaxes me and usually i dont know that im doing it. i do it in school and when i realize what im doing i feel embarrased because people who see me are probably grossed out when i pull a big piece of scalp out and flick it onto the floor. when i have no good spots that i can pick on my head i pick them off of other people. my boy friend lets me pick his head and i think he likes it and i like it because i just like picking things off of other things(: my mom picks her scalp tooo and i love when she picks my scalp its just so relaxing and i dont really think its weird but i dont think its normal because i dont see a lot of other people doing it but idk it just feels good and its fun
Helpful - 0
Christi, I had struggled with the exact same problem as you for almost 20 years.  Sometimes it would get out of control and I would get down on myself because I couldn't stop.  I thought it was all about my lack of will power.

I recently contracted a skin fungus on my back and face and in researching it came to find out that my scalp condition was associated with the yeast Malassezia furfur.  My doctor prescribed a pill that women take for yeast infections.  The medication combined with alternating use of Selsun Blue and Head & Shoulders shampoos has eliminated my problem.  For the first time in 20 years my scalp is clear and I don't have the urge to pick at it!  I have determined that it was not a test of my will power after all;  I simply had an infection that was never properly addressed.  

I know there is a lot of misleading and unhelpful information out there on this difficult to discuss topic and I hope this helps you to have a clear scalp as well.  Best of luck.

JD
Helpful - 0
P.S. here is some supplemental information on the subject http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seborrheic_dermatitis

Helpful - 0
Wow! This is the first time that I have googled "Obsessive scalp picking" and I have to say, it is amazing to see how many people out there have this same obsession. My obsession is really bad. I pick and pick and pick. Especially when I am reading or watching tv. I get in a total ZONE. It is so soothing to me. I guess it is stress that causes me to pick. I have picked for years and years; since I was about 8. (I am now 26). I pick so much that when it is time to wash my hair, it burns. But I love picking my scalp after I have washed my hair. That is my favorite time to pick. It sounds weird, I know. My husband says I look like a monkey, always picking at my head the way I do. I try to stay cleear of wearing dark colors cause of the dandrif I create. I usually wear white shirts or light grey so the dandruf doesnt show up. I found that when I would wear acrylic nails that I would stop picking so much. Acryllic nails arent sharp enough too pick the way real nails can. It is less satisfying for me. I do suffer from depression and anxiety and am currently on 20 mg Lexipro and .5 mg Klonopin. But it doesnt help my obsession. I cant say that I am ashamed of this obsession. I really dont care if anyone knows. It is just a part of who I am ( I know that it is not normal!) However I dont go around anouncing that I have this obsession.
I figured that I couldnt be the only person in the world who does this, but seeing just how many people there are that have this same strange obsession makes me feel a little less weird!
PS- I was picking the whole time I was reading through all of these posts and I am going to continue to read on and pick on!
Helpful - 0
I do this too! I even collect the scabs. Euuuuuuuch. I don't know how to stop this awful habit. Head and shoulders shampoo doesn't help, on the contrary, it makes my scalp even dryer and more tempting to pick
Helpful - 0
I started picking my scalp around age 10 - I am 22 now - and never knew until today that there were others like me!  I have never been diagnosed with depression, but I'm a nervous person in general so it wouldn't surprise me at all if I had a mild form of anxiety disorder.  It really amazes me that I can be picking my scalp and not even notice it.  It's a gross habit because I do a lot of picking while I lay in bed before falling asleep, and my sheets and pillowcases get dandruff all over them.  :(  The other major time I get the urge to pick is while looking in the bathroom mirror.

I completely relate to what others have said about a trance-like state that occurs while doing this.  I remember my mom and grandma yelling at me for it as a kid, but I really couldn't stop.  

Has anyone had any success quitting this habit without drugs?  I have found it helps to keep my nails short, or to paint them so that I don't want to mess them up.  I have been able to stop for periods of a few months, but always start up again, usually after or during a particularly stressful event.  I really want to stop this, not just for myself, but because now I am seriously grossing out my husband!
Helpful - 0
I'm surprised there are so many with the same condition as me.  I've had it since I was a child but have progressed now to pulling whole leathery scales from my scalp that I've caused due to the irritation.  It itches, then I dig into it.  Sometimes, I would take dental sticks to loosen the thick skin.  Now I have balding spots.

As I am afraid of taking psych meds to control this, I have to consciously tell myself not to do it.  Now I'm wearing 3 tracks of weave in my crown area.  I'm so disgusted at myself.  But I found that applying thick acrylic nails helps me control the nasty habit.  Also, when I see how I damaged my hair has become with a very patchy crown but near waist-length hair overall...just so disappointed.  The acrylics are back on my nails now.  If I don't scratch, it won't itch later.  To transition, I massage gently with a soothing hair oil and pamper myself.
Helpful - 0
I have recently dropped out of uni and although i have always picked at my head it has become obsessive over the past few months. It has come to the point were i cant control myself from doing it in public, until the skin bleeds, it stings when i am in the shower and i only stop when my arm aches from being upright for so long. I'm scared that i also have depression as i have very low self worth and choose to sleep in the day and stay awake alone all night. I was wondering if the head picking and deppression could be linked?
Helpful - 0
im 23 years old i thought i was the only person in the world that does this!i constantly get headaches bc my scalp hurts so bad! on the crown of my head i have a huge bald spot with a houseshoe shaped scab thats bigger than a quater!!!!i cant stop picking it burns in the shower i pull out the hair to get the scab or the hair normally comes with it!everyone thinks its nasty  and wish id stop!i do it all day and everyday i zone out and i pick to were i make faces kick my feet,etc..i want to find a way to stop somekind of medication im on prozac and an add med. but what makes it stop!!!!
Helpful - 0
I too have the same problem. There are many on this site comparing picking procedures but few solutions to what is clearly a serious condition for all of us. Has anyone any positive, constructive advice? Has anyone had any medical, psychiatric help? Is there any good practice to be passed on? In short, can anyone offer any suggestions as to how I can stop this debilitating, disgusting habit, please?
Helpful - 0
So I have had this issue for years. Since I was a little kid. I had bad cradle cao as a baby, and then again in middle school. I just have ALWAYS picked my head. My mother always yells at me, "stop picking your head". The fact is that I don't even realize I'm doing it anymore. And I pick my lips too. I mean I dnon't look like a freak or anything. In facet im a 25 year old hairstylist. I've always judt thought it was normal. Until now, I feel like I never wanted to aceept that I have a disorder.

I recently this year was diagnosed with adult adhd. And I was put on a 20mg a day dose of adderal. I'm not sure thats made a difference with the picking, although great for my adhd. So it def gose in spurts, sometimes I have nothing and others like now, my head is covered in scabs. I believe I do have some sort of ecsema or phoriosis, Because my ears are always dry and scabby. But anyways I always have flakes and dryness around my hairline. And recently I have made this giant scar in front on my part that is loosing hair. Im a hot mess, but no ones else knows I do it. I havent ever even told my shrink. Im going to now though, I just dont want to be on other meds.

As I am sitting here right now I am picking, last week I even looked in the mirror and picked a scab with a tweezer, that **** is bad.

I have also read in the hair world, that mineral build up in you tap water causes a build up on the scalp and then that could be what is being picked. Any way, good luck to you all, I hope you find a solution! :)
Helpful - 0

I basically have the same thing going on. (I'm in my mid 50's and it started when I was around 12-ish) There are periods when I stop for a month or two (without realizing it). But usually it's all the time. I haven't sought help for it, and I was surprised that it is so prevelant (sp). Let's hope we can get this under control. But as we all know it's close to impossible. Thanks for listening.

B
Helpful - 0
I have since I can remember always picked at my head. I don't do it to the point of pain but I will scour my head with my nails until I find something to pick at. I will do it and not even realize it until later when my arm is tired. I think it is a gross habit to be constantly picking at my scalp. Does anyone know why some people do this? I would like to stop but it is something I do when I'm stressed, deressed or bored. I would love some answers!
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Community